Tummy Tuck and Interstitial Cystitis Okay?

I have interstitial cystitis, its very mild, I only have a flare about once a month or so, and last a few hours. I've always wanted a TT and am wondering if any doctors can tell me if they have done TT on IC patients before. The problem is, when I get an IC flare, my belly swells to very large size and I of course have extreme pain. Would having a TT surgery cause IC pain? Would a flare(with swelling) cause harm to a healing TT. Are there any PS doctors with this experience? In need of answers!

Interstitial Cystitis and Tummy Tuck

+1

Dear CA Lady,

Simply, controlling the Interstitial Cystitis is the key and when done properly a tummy tuck patient will recover commendably.

I encourage you to communicate with the physician managing your IC as well as the plastic surgeon you will be choosing.

A board certified plastic surgeon of ample experience is an important element in the equation.

Thank you for your inquiry and the best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian.

I know of no correlation with tummy tuck and the worsening of IC (interstitial cystitis).

+1

I know of no correlation with tummy tuck and the worsening of IC (interstitial cystitis). Before proceeding, discuss this with your urologist and your plastic surgeon. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

+1

Over the years we have cared for a number of patients with Intersticial Cystitis. The tummy tuck will not have any effect on that problem.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Tummy tuck and Interstitial Cystitis

+1

Good question. The good news is that it shouldn't be a problem. The patients I have treated have all been well controlled on medication. They have not had any flare ups due to the surgery or anesthesia. I think as long as it is quiet at the time of your surgery that you should be fine. 

Ronald Schuster, MD