Scar Too High on Hips After Tummy Tuck

I am only three weeks out from a tummy tuck but have already been told I will need a scar revision to get the results I want. My incision line is low in front but comes up higher than my belly button on the sides. I would like it under a bathing suit which would been it would need to come down several inches. Also, my PS told be that he thinks the scar on my BB will move inside once more swelling goes down, but if not I would like to fix that as well. Is a revision as invasive as the TT?

Scar Revision After TT Not As Invasive As Original Surgery

+1

In answer to your direct question, "will the tummy tuck revision be as invasive as the tummy tuck", the answer is "no".  It is just a skin manipulation and does not go as deep as the tummy tuck.  The scars on your hips will never go below your bikini no matter what scar revisions are done, and without secondary surgeries, I doubt that your belly button will pull inside.  I agree with the other responders.  Give yourself six months to see full wound healing, and then consult with your plastic surgeon about what improvements can or cannot be accomplished.

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Elevated Tummy Tuck Scar

+1

Dear Hopefully Lilly,

I am sorry that you had to go through this awful experience.

A physical examination is crucial to determine the laxity of your skin so a revision could be planned.

Nonetheless, you have to wait for several months to completely heal so a revision could be performed by a board certified surgeon of ample experience.

As for your belly button, it will depress with time. Your scars that will improve but they will not drop to your bikini line.

Please keep in mind that you are only at three weeks post-surgery and final results are not established yet.

Best of luck to you and thank you for sharing your photographs.
Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

High Scar

+1

Sorry you are unhappy with your results.

A high scar around the hips can be challenging to fix.  It may drop with time, but probably not to the extent you would like.  Before saying anything else, I caution you to wait at least 6 months from the time of your initial surgery before considering doing anything else. 

Options include:

1.  Removing some of the skin below the scar to try and "move" it down, which I would combine with some liposuction of your sides to aid in moving the scar.  This will lengthen the scar some, however.

2.  Laser treatment of the scars to make them less visible if they haven't faded considerably after 6-9 months.

Hope this helps,

Dr. Hall

Jason J. Hall, MD, FACS

Scar position

+1

Based on your photos, it appears that you underwent an extended tummy tuck procedure.  Scar placement depends on several things 1) your anatomy and actual waist line 2) the location of your excess skin and 3) the surgical plan - (where your PS planned his/her incision line.    although it appears the scar is indeed very high, I do not think it will be possible to lower the scar to where your current undergarment sits in your photos.  Furthermore a scar revision will require lengthening the scar further towards your back.  I would not proceed with any scar revisions until you have given time for the scars to mature.  Wait at least 6 months.  Hope this helps.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Revision of High Tummy Tuck Scar

+1

If you are using the current underwear/swimsuit in the attached pictures, it will never be possible to get the sides of the tummy tuck scar underneath it. You can not move a tummy tuck scar 'down a few inches' anywhere along its course, but particularly so on the sides. The scar will look a lot better with time as it fades and it is possibe to move it down a little but never in quantum amounts. Neither a scar revision or a revisional belly button procedure are anything like the original tummy tuck. But I would wait at least six months to let all settle and see what can be done from there.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

High Cut Tummy Tuck

+1

This could have been avoided by designing the incisions around your favorite bikini bottom.

Revision is possible by taking more skin out below the high-cut lateral extensions of your scar so as to move it down. This is not as extensive as the original tummy tuck but will likely lengthen the scar further..

I would wait on the BB scar: it will probably settle. In fact, I would wait on both so that if surgery is necessary for it too, it may be performed at the same sitting.

J. Brian Boyd, MD