Flat Belly Button After Tummy Tuck?

I had a full tummy tuck 9 weeks ago. Majority of the swelling has gone. My one main concern now is that my belly button is not in or out just flat with the rest of my stomach. The size and roundness are okay. Should I try to use the "marble trick" to help push my belly button in? My next follow up appointment is in 2 1/2 weeks. Thank you.

"Marble trick" to get an "innie" belly button after tummy tuck?

+2

I know about the so-called "marble trick" in which a marble is taped inside the belly button to hopefully create a cone-shaped umbilicus where one did not exist before.

But, I have been doing tummy tucks for over 25 years (including 2 years of plastic surgery training), and have NEVER used this "trick."

If a patient has extremely thin skin/fat abdominal flaps, then achieving an "innie" may not always be possible. Sometimes a very thin or muscular patient may not have a muscle repair, and this can also yield the "flat" belly button. I do muscle repairs on 99% of my patients, and this helps tuck the belly button inside the folded fascial layers to create the inversion you seek.

My concern with you performing this "home remedy" is the potential for pressure necrosis of the umbilical skin. This would not be good. If you have a small umbilical hernia, the marble trick won't work anyway! Talk to your surgeon! Best wishes!

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Home remedy for depressing a belly button after tummy tuck

+1

Dear Rollon,

I encourage you to consult with your surgeon before you adopt a "home remedy".

Depending on your physique, if you are athletic/slim your belly button may not depress a lot.

Best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Marble Trick

+1

I would not try this until you discuss it with your doctor. The flat belly button may be a function of your anatomy, especially if you are very thin with little fat.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD