Can Not Wearing the Compression Garment Really Affect the Final Results of Lipo?

I had the Tumescent lipo performed three days ago. I wore the compresion garment the first two days, but I cannot wear that anymore if my life depended on it. I am gettin anxiety attacks. Will wearing a spandex or nothing at all affect the final result of my surgery?

Compression garment after tumescent liposuction

+1
The garment helps prevent accumulation of fluid in the areas where fat has been removed. It will also help to decrease swelling, and to conform the skin to its new position, maximizing the cosmetic outcome. It will allow you to see the final result following surgery much sooner. Failure to comply with garment instructions will increase the risk of seroma formation and suboptimal results. Spanx may help, but the compression garment is your best choice.

The Importance of Compression Garments

+1

It’s not unusual for surgeons to recommend the use of compression garments following tumescent liposuction.  Although, the majority of plastic surgeons recommend some type of compression, there are surgeons who don’t always recommend compression.  It’s important to understand that every patient is unique.

The importance of compression garments depends on a variety of factors.  These might include the amount of fat removed and the patient’s baseline skin laxity to name a few.  In some cases, not wearing a compression garment may have no significance.  In other cases, it might be the difference between an excellent result and an average result.

We generally recommend the use of compression support garments for about three weeks following surgery.  We also recommend a low salt diet before and after tumescent liposuction.  Exercise is usually started early in the post-operative period, and we want patients to ambulate as soon as possible following surgery.

It’s important to discuss this issue with your surgeon before proceeding with surgery so you will have an understanding of why post-operative compression garments are important for you.  In some cases premature cessation of compression might adversely impact the results of liposuction.  In the vast majority of cases, it would probably not affect the result, but instead lead to prolonged swelling.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Tumescent Lipo

+1

Yes.  No garment equals more swelling, more irregularity, more scar tissue, and a less than optimal result. Thank you for your question and good luck with everything.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Garment after Liposuction

+1

You'll find that, like most things in plastic surgery, there are a lot of different thoughts (and very little science) regarding garments after liposuction surgery. Therefore you should adjust specific questions to your operating surgeon.

Personally, I asked patients to  use  a compressive garment for the 1st month after surgery.   Talk to your surgeon and see if a mild anti-anxiety medication may be indicated. 

Compression garments after liposuction

+1

I ask my patients to wear compression garments for two weeks postop and then at night for another two weeks. This reduces postop swelling which in turn reduces pain and speeds healing. If your girdle is excruciatingly painful, it might be the wrong size. I'm sorry to hear about your reaction. I haven't had a patient complain about the compression garment. They come in many varieties and it is important to select the correct one for each patient. One size definitely does not fit all!

Robert L. Kraft, MD

The compression is important. Check back with your doctor.

+1

The compression is important.  Check back with your doctor.  I personally believe that it will adversely affect your outcome if you do not wear the compression.  Possibly you could get a prescription for a few weeks to help you with your anxiety or use a different type of compression.  Please check back with your doctor. 

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Compression garments after liposuction

+1
The use of compression garments after liposuction procedures can be a bit controversial. Most plastic surgeons think compression garments help with swelling, and the prevention of fluid collections known as seromas. It is also becoming more common to use foam (tappy foam or epi foam) over the treated areas to decrease bruising. However, compression garments can also cause problems such as patient discomfort, circulation issues, and skin indentation. It is for these and other reasons that some plastic surgeons prefer to not use compression garments at all. It is best for patients to discuss these issues with their plastic surgeon to determine what is best for their particular situation.

Kelly Gallego, MD, FACS
Yuba City Plastic Surgeon

Compression garment after liposuction

+1

Good Question. You are not the first person  (or the last) who did not wear a compression garment after liposuction.

The first couple of days does the most good. After that, it is a matter of choice. The first couple of days, compression helps to avoid fluid puddles within the area that was liposuctioned. Later, tenderness will keep you from doing anything you shouldn't.

After a couple of days, don't fear, you are in good company. Many have gone before, and have resisted wearing the tight compression garments. They seem to do okay.

What is important? Don't do anything that causes pulling or pain in the treated area. Stay active with low impact exercise. Concentrate on proper eating (many have a problem with sweets and starches). See a coach (nutrition and/or exercise) and be glad you have the procedure behind you. Congratulations!

T. Wayne Day, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction garment

+1

I prefer to have my patients wear liposuction garments after surgery because I think it helps with swelling and redraping. However, there are many surgeons that do not have their patients wear them.  Ask your surgeon.