Liposuction and Frequent Urination

Hello, I am 5 weeks post op from having tumescent lipo on my abdomen and flanks.It has been a little over a year since I suddenly had the urge to pee all the time.Recently I have been peeing ALOT. i would say >20 times a day.Can this be from the lipo?My doctor has ordered an ultrasound on my bladder, pelvic and ovaries area.Can they tell I had lipo through the ultrasound?Its a family doc so I rather keep my lipo a secret. I also had a CA125 test done,will it be high bc of inflammation from lipo?

Liposuction does not cause frequent urination

+2

You are wise to see your family doctor. Please don't be afraid to tell your family doctor about your liposuction or any procedure. It is no big deal for them to hear this sort of thing. With patient confidentiality, don't worry that "they will tell."

Having a sensitive bladder is otherwise a common complaint among people in general. Just look on TV at all the ads for medications that are for when you "gotta go, gotta go."

I don't believe your frequent urination has anything to do with your tumescent liposuction. You might pee more for a day just to get rid of the excess fluid but not five weeks later.

Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Excessive urination 5 weeks after liposuction should be worked up

+2

Now thay you are 5 weeks post liposuction, your body should have recovered from the fluctuations in fluid balence that occur early on.  Excessive urination ar this point is uncommon and should be worked up y your doctor.  An ulrasound will not give away your secret.  Good luck.

Beverly Friedlander, MD
Short Hills Plastic Surgeon

Speak With A Urologist Regarding Your Frequent Urination

+1

Frequent urination following tumescent liposuction is probably unrelated to your surgical procedure.  Evaluation by a urologist is appropriate because of the severity of the problem.  Since your surgery was performed five weeks ago mobilization of retained fluid can’t explain your frequent urination.  For this reason, it’s likely that your problem is primarily related to your urinary tract.  Consultation with a urologist would be an appropriate next step.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Tumescent Lipo

+1

This is likely a problem with the genitourinary system.  You will likely need to see a Urologist; but first, a urine specimen and examination by your primary doctor. Thank you for your question.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Frequent urination after liposuction

+1

Liposuction does not cause frequent urination 5 weeks after the procedure.  I would recommend seeing a Urologist, a physician who specializes in the urinary tract, to determine the cause of your problem.

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Excessive urination after surgery

+1

Excessive urination 5 weeks after surgery is not common. This should be worked up.  If it is urgency( the need to go all the time) may be  sign of a urinary tract infection.

Liposuction does NOT lead to Frequent Urination 5 weeks later

+1

Liposuction involves infiltration of the fat with tumescent fluid to make the liposuction easier and reduce blood losses. This fluid is then taken up by the body and passed out as urine over the next 24 hours. But this does NOT persist for over a month.

I would have your physician make sure you are not taking a medication or supplement which causes urination and if normal rule out regular diabetes and a rarer form called diabetes insipidus.

Dr. Peter A Aldea

Complications after liposuction

+1

At this point you have recovered from your liposuction and the appropriate course is a medical work-up such as you have described.  It is extremely unlikely that liposuction is a cause of urinary frequency.  If the abominal wall were to be injured during lipo there could be scarring to the bladder, but I would expect that you would have had early symptoms related to a perforation and not just a delayed problem with frequency.

Daniel Greenwald, MD