Should I Use a Teaching Hospital to Get a Cheaper Tummy Tuck?

I want a tummy tuck so bad, i am a college student and unable to make more than minimum wage. In New York there is a place for newly graduated surgeons wanting to practice before heading into the world on their own. The cost for a surgery would be almost half price, (right within my budget, but barely). I am afraid that i will in some way get what i paid for.

Resident training

+4

This is an option if you have no other choice but I am concerned about how young you are for seeking your cosmetic result. 

University tummy tucks

+4

The residency programs offer discounted cosmetic surgery in many cities.  These young well-intentioned doctors will try their very best for you with the guidance of a faculty member who is teaching them.  The results probably won't be the exact same as if you went to an experienced plastic surgeon who has done thousands of tummy tucks themselves.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Teaching hospital is safe place for tummy tuck.

+3

Hi.

I see you have several questions.  If you cannot afford $10,000, a plastic surgery clinic is a safe place for a tummy tuck or other cosmetic surgery.  For tummy tuck in New York City, we run a clinic at Lenox Hill Hospital.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Teaching hospital for less expensive tummy tuck.

+2

Most university hospital Plastic Surgery departments have a resident clinic for cosmetic surgery.  The residents are usually overseen by board certfied Plastic Surgeons.  Each institution runs their clinic a bit differently.  This can be a very good option for folks who are short on funds and can't do financing.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Teaching hospital to get a cheaper tummy tuck

+2

You can do this to save $'s. It offers a trainee plastic surgeon the opportunity to use his new skills on reduced fee patients usually under supervision of a senior plastic surgeon.

From MIAMI DR. B

Tummy Tuck at Teaching Hospitals

+2

New York has several Medical schools with several Plastic Surgery Residency programs (NYU, Columbia, Cornell, Mount Sinai, Downstate etc). If you go to one of their residents clinic you would probably get an OK procedure in which a Plastic surgeon in training is supposed to be supervised by a practicing surgeon in performing the operation. The extent of such supervision may vary from non-existent to scrubbed and helping the resident do the surgery. The skill of these residents varies and will not match much less exceed that of a surgeon who has been in practice for a few years.

An alternative is to check out the FELLOWS clinic at MEETH (Manhattan Eye and Ear) which rotates both NYU Plastic Surgery residents as well as Fellows who completed their training and took a year to train there and get more cosmetic surgery experience. If forced to go the route of a clinic, I would make sure you were operated on by a Fellow rather than a resident.

Ideally, you may want to save your money and be operated on by a skilled surgeon who has done many of these operations. If New York is too expensive for you, and it is for many, consider traveling to a cheaper city where the operation will be as good but with a lower price tag.

Tummy tuck prices

+2

Save up and go to a private surgeon.  The residency programs are safe places to have surgery, but if you want the best possible result and personalized care, you should see a private plastic surgeon in their own office.

Elan B. Singer, MD