Is It True That Wearing a Garter/binder After a Tummy Tuck Helps in Achieving the Perfect Figure?

I've heard of women (who do their surgery's in D.R. anyway) who wear their binders for 6 or more months after surgery, believing that they will heal in that shape, or their bodies will conform to that shape anyway. Is it true the longer you wear it the better?

+1

Most plastic surgeons have their patients wear a binder or compression girdle after a tummy tuck for the patient's support and comfort, and to discourage fluid collections under the skin that might require drainage.  After 4-6 weeks, I do not require my patients to wear any garment, but since there is continued swelling that comes and goes for another several weeks or longer, I recommend that they wear a Spanx or other lightweight support garment as long as they feel it is helpful.  There is no evidence that long term garment compression after that has any permanent shaping effect.

A binder after tummy tuck is aa good idea.

+1

Wear it full time for three weeks. Keep it loose in the first week after surgery and tighter as time goes on.

After a month or so you can switch to compression girdle. The swelling won't be all gone for 9-12 months.

G. Gregory Gallico III, MD

Binder after Tummy Tuck for 6 Months or More

+1

Most plastic surgeons would recommend a compression garment and possibly drains to reduce the risk of fluid collection and to keep swelling under control.  Wearing the garment for longer than 4 to 6 weeks would be an uncommon recommendation, but there is no study that has demonstrated lack of benefit due to wearing the garment longer.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Garment/Binder Important After Tummy Tuck Surgery?

+1

No, I do not think that the use of  postoperative garment/binder  plays a major role in achieving the “perfect figure”. Some of the factors that are important  in achieving the best results possible, in my opinion, include having the procedure performed when you have achieved a long-term stable weight,  the  quality of the procedure performed,  and “maintaining” the results postoperatively with healthy diet/lifestyle.

Binder Wear After Tummy Tuck

+1

The role of the circumferential binder after a tummy tuck is for comfort, tissue adhesion and prevention of a seroma. While it has real established benefits in the first month after surgery, use beyond that time is more dubious. There is no medical evidence that better results occur after a tummy tuck from prolonged binder wear.Conversely, there is no harm in doing so and it certainly can not hurt. Based on how you heard of this biner benefit suggests that it is more fiction than fact.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Wearing A Garter After a Tummy Tuck For Over 6 Weeks is Unusual

+1

It depends on your recovery. Typically, I recommend patients wear a binder, garter or compression garment day and night for about 3 weeks, then just in the day after that for about 3 more weeks. After that, it usually is not necessary unless you are recovering more slowly. However, more than 6 months is unusual. The only way that I can see it beneficial in helping create a “perfect figure” after 6 weeks or so is for one reason: because it applies pressure on the midsection, and specifically your stomach. This pressure on your stomach can help you feel fuller when you eat. Therefore, you won’t eat as much. Of course a healthy diet and exercise regimen are always necessary to maintain your tummy tuck results, but some patients may appreciate this “trick”.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Long term use of an abdominal binder after abdominoplasty

+1

Thanks for your question.  During a standard abdominoplasty the fascia of the rectus muscle is sutured together with very strong sutures.  It takes many months for the internal scar to heal before there is any strength in the repair.  The use of the abdominal binder keeps the sutures from pulling through the abdominal fascia.  If there is quite a bit of movement during the early months of healing its possible the abdominal sutures and actually tear through the fascia and not make the stomach as flat.  I ask my patients to wear the abdominal corset for up to six months.  By doing so my patients have maintained a flat abdomen that is as tight as the day I tightened them.  This I know because I follow each patient for up to a year and measure their abdomen with each visit.  In addition the compression corset helps to keep the scar from becoming hypertrophic and raised.

Benjamin Chu, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon