Pubic Area Huge After Tummy Tuck? (photo)

I'm 4 days post op and I'm honestly freaking out about this. It looks so ridiculous. Even when I'm laying down it doesn't flatten. Does that mean anything if it's always swollen even laying down? Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Anyways everything else my doctor did was perfect in my opinion ( I had a breast augmentation as well as the tummy tuck). This is my only concern. Oh also there is not really any pain in the pubic area. I purchased compression garments I hope they work.

Pubic swelling after tummy tuck

+2

Thanks for your question and pictures.  Swelling  in the pubic area after a tummy tuck is very common.  Swelling will have a tendency to settle in dependent areas and the pubic area is  prone to this.  Do gentle massage, keep close contact with your surgeon, and follow the post op instructions.  If it persists, there are options such as liposuction a few months from now.

Pubic Area Huge after Tummy Tuck

+2

Many patients experience swelling as you describe shortly after tummy tuck and body contouring surgeries.  It is far too early to be concerned, especially since there is so much fluid retention in this area after surgery.  Continue the compression garments and perform gentle massaging of the area twice daily.  This should improve over the next 2 months. If it persists after several months, a secondary surgery (often liposuction) can be done to reduce the fullness. It is always best to discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon.

Erez Sternberg, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Pubic Area Huge after Tummy Tuck

+2

Early in the tummy tuck recovery period, it is not unusual at all to have quite a bit of swelling in the pubic area.  This is a dependent area and gravity will prevent the swelling from leaving that area.  This may take several weeks to resolve.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Pubic Area Huge After Tummy Tuck?

+2

Swelling in the mons is quite common after tummy tuck and may appear to be alarming. This almost always resolves, but it may take up to six months. 

Looks like a nice TT. Expect a nice outcome! Best wishes. 

Mons pubis swelling

+2

This area often swells up after a tummy tuck.  Especially after just four days, you have some degree of swelling in this area.  There is a possibility that there is some fat in this area.  This could be easily be removed with some liposuction if necessary.  It looks like your surgeon did a nice job and if you did have a significant collection of fat in the mons pubis area, it is unlikely that he didn't consider this during your consultation.  Please wait for your swelling to resolve before making any conclusions about your issue.  Best of luck and thank you for your question.

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Pubic Area Huge After Tummy Tuck?

+1
I find that this happens fairly often after tummy tuck and even after abdominal liposuction.  The mons pubis and the labia tend to hold onto the swelling, especially as they are in the dependent (lower portion) position.  continue to monitor the area and follow up with your surgeon.

For more information, please go to my website at:
WirthPlasticSurgery.com

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS

Pubic area huge after abdominoplasty

+1

some things to consider.  this area may have been huge before the surgery but you could not see it as well or it did not look as large because the referance point was a larger "tummy" area.  also there may be some swelling that has not resolved.  eitherway, if it persists it can be revised with both excision and liposuction.

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD

Pubic Area Huge After Tummy Tuck?

+1

See you surgeon ASAP to evaluate this pubic edema or swelling. Cause could be seroma fluid that needs drainage. Follow up please

Swelling in Pubic Area after TT

+1

It is not uncommon to have swelling in the mons pubis while in the healing phase of a Tummy Tuck.   I am sure your Plastic Surgeon will monitor the swelling as you are healing.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Swelling in the mons pubis is common early after tummy tuck

+1

Many patients experience swelling as you describe and demonstrate.  It is far too early to be concerned.  If it persists after several months, a secondary surgery (often liposuction) can be done to reduce the fullness.  It is always best to discuss your concerns with your surgeon.  Best of luck.

Michael S. Hopkins, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon