Belly Button Blood Scalp Hanging from White String? (photo)

Had a TT with a hernia repair on my belly button 6 weeks ago, I have a blood scalp on my belly button hanging from a white string. Still draining liquid, no puss or green but enough to stain my binder and body shapers. Also stink.....bad. Is it normal? is it going to fall off?

This appears to be a dead belly button; see your plastic surgeon.

+1

6 weeks post-op is significantly past the time for umbilical skin to survive or die, and this photograph shows dead umbilical skin atop what looks like nonviable umbilical stalk dermis.

It may not be draining pus, but the odor corresponds with bacterial contamination, as does the redness of the living skin surrounding the dead umbilical stalk.

You should see your surgeon promptly; this requires surgical debridement and antibiotic coverage. The final result will likely be just fine as others have said, but not if this is neglected. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Belly Button Blood Scalp Hanging from White String?

+1

From the description and posted photo you have necrosis of the umbilical tip. Seek immediate medical debridement and care/treatment.

+1

I agree with the other doctors...Your belly button will not survive and will need to be trimmed off....That is the smell you are noticing too...The good news is our belly buttons kind of did the same thing when we were little kids so in the end you may have a pretty normal looking BB but it does deserve some attention and your doctor will know what to do...

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Bellybutton complications after tummy tuck

+1

That looks like your belly button is not going to survive.  When fixing a hernia at the same time as a tummy tuck, the blood supply can be very tenuous.  It appears that the end result, in your case, is that the blood supply was not enough and the umbilicus died.  It should be treated by your surgeon and will require some care and a fair amount of patience. 

Jeremy Pyle, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

+1

It appears to me that your belly button (umbilicus) has become necrotic, meaning that its blood supply has been lost and it has died. You should go to see your surgeon who will help you. It will require wound care and will take additional time to heal.

William H. Gorman, MD

Draining Belly Button after Tummy Tuck

+1

It looks like the belly button has lost its circulation.  The smell is most likely due to dead tissue.  Your plastic surgeon should see this and deal with it soon. Very soon if you had any mesh used for your hernia.

Raymond A. Faires, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Belly Button Issues after Tummy Tuck and Hernia Repair

+1

If this is the belly button and not a blood encrusted dressing, you should definitely see your plastic surgeon.  I would have thought that something would have been noticed before 6 weeks.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Tummy Tuck Post-Op Problems

+1

It appears from the photo your belly button has been compromised and is not healing properly. You should see your surgeon as soon as possible for treatment.

Lisa M. DiFrancesco, MD

Belly button issues after tummy tuck

+1

This is something your doctor should see to either clean it up or to tell you what you need to do to care for it.  Either you have some dried blood there or maybe the BB died.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

+1

I am not sure what the question in the header means, but looking at the photo I don't think I have a better description. 

I really can't make out what this is, and I think a visit to your surgeon is in order. I am quite certain that this does require his/her attention.

All the best.