Is It True Compression Therapy Helps to Shrink Fat Cells? (photo)

Hello my name is Evelyn. I 485 lbs. I have list 200lbs. I still have another 100 lbs to go but I am wondering if body wraps or body firming clothing would help shrink my pannus on my journey. Thanks

Compression garments

+1

Thanks for your question and congrats on your weight loss.  I am unaware of any scientific data suggesting that compression garments cause weight loss.

Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Compression therapy and fat cell shrinking

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss and feather efforts to continue with the same. Unfortunately, compression therapy does not remove fat cells and you'll likely need to have surgical excision to achieve removal of additional fat cells and more importantly skin after massive weight loss. Best of luck. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

"Compression therapy" for shrinking fat cells

+1

I have not heard of, nor am I aware of, any legitimate scientific evidence that shows that "compressive therapy" has any real impact on fat cells. With a tight enough wrap, you may look better (in clothes), but I doubt it is changing anything in your underlying adipose (fatty) tissue. Congratulations on the weight loss so far!

Matthew Concannon MD

Matthew Concannon, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Compression Therapy?

+1

Compression garments may make you feel more comfortable and look better in clothes, but unfortunately they are not a replacement for diet, exercise and ultimately a surgical removal of the pannus. You should be congratulated on your weight loss. Keep up the good work.

I would suggest that you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD  FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Compression Therapy

+1

No, weight loss or surgical excision is the only thing that will remove the fat / weight.  Compression may help you feel better or look better, but physically removing the fat or weight loss is the only way that you are going to loose weight loss.  It is fantastic that you have already lost 100 pounds!  Keep up the good work!

Good Luck!

David Shafer, MD

Does compression thearpy shrink fat cells?

+1

Hi and thank you for your question.

First of all, congratulations on the weight loss you have accomplished thus far!

To answer your question, no, unfortunately wraps or firming clothing will not help shrink your pannus at all. But when you reach your goal weight you'll be ready to have your pannus completely excised, should you chose to have surgery.

Best of luck to you.

David Cangello, MD

Is It True Compression Therapy Helps to Shrink Fat Cells?

+1

No, but wouldn't that make an easy diet. 

But the wrap will help keep you comfortable. When you are at your goal weight, removing the pannus surgically will be the treatment. Congratulations on the weight loss accomplished, best wishes for future accomplishment. 

All the best.