Training Hospital to Help Cut Costs of Tummy Tuck?

Several doctors have stated that for a more of a cheaper rate to maybe go to a teaching hospital. Does any of the doctors in St. Louis know where I can go and who to contact? Thank you for all your answers! Very much appreciate it! I've been so devistated by this.

+2

There are two medical schools in ST Louis--Washington University and St Louis University. Call their plastic surgery departments. 

It used to be quite common to find lower rates at teaching hospitals, but that is not often the case. Some hospitals charge operating room fees in the neighborhood of $4000 and hour, compared to less than $1000 an hour at surgicenters. Even with no professional fee, the discount may disappear in minutes. Thanks, all the best. 

Teaching hospitals may offer a discount?

+2

Some teaching hospitals who have plastic surgery training programs may offer some of a discount on aesthetic surgical procedures.  This is certainly going to vary from place to place around the country.  Twenty years ago it was not an uncommon practice, today it is less common.  

Teaching hospital for price sensitivity

+2
Barnes is the flagship hospital in St Louis and has an excellent plastic surgery department. Keep in mind that the hospitals, which used to offer teaching cases for a song, have wised up and are now charging real $. Because the operating costs are higher than in a surgicenter, on occasion there may not be a big enough price break over a reasonably priced board certified plastic surgeon in his own facility so it is advisable to see several surgeons to get a sense of the range in your area.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Training Hospital and Discounts on Cosmetic Surgery

+1

Barnes is a good choice in the area.  You should contact the plastic surgery department.  Ask them about a chief resident's cosmetic clinic.  They may have one, although I do not know for sure.

Tummy tuck

+1

Teaching hospitals are charging the same or more for these procedures. A plastic surgeon with their own operating facility can beat any hospital with facility fees  

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Teaching hospitals might work

+1

Teaching hospitals can sometimes offer a cost savings benefit. Typically, a staff surgeon (board certified plastic surgeon) will take a resident surgeon through the case. The degree of participation of the resident tends to be up to the staff surgeon. For example, during my training, the staff surgeon would offer a significant discount if the patient would agree to have the resident perform the majority of the case. However, other staff members wouldn't offer any discount feeling that it was all part of a teaching hospital. Ask if there is any significant difference. Good luck.

Michael Burgdorf, MD