4 Post Tummy Tuck. Why Do my Muscles React to Cold or Heat?

Every time I eat something hot or cold my stomach muscles tighten. I can't do sit ups or lift anything without them 'contracting' . I ALWAYS feel like I have a rope tied VERY tightly around my waist. When I am cold, they are so tight I have to stay bent over and hug myself to relieve the tightness. Crazy I know, but pressure or having something wrapped around my middle section makes my muscles feel better. I also have a constant burning feeling. HELP! I CAN'T LIVE LIKE THIS FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE!

Muscle Sensitivity after Tummy Tuck

+1

Muscle sensitivity after tummy tuck can be normal.   The muscles have been irritated to a certain extent by plication and the surgery itself.  The abdominal wall may need several months to get accustomed to the changes.  Workouts will take some getting used to as well.

Why Do my Muscles React to Cold or Heat?

+1

This does not sound typical for post-op TT patients other than in the first few weeks. An evaluation by your physician is in order. Thanks for your question, all the best.

Tightness post tummy

+1

This is not unusual and I would just be patinet.This will pass in time.Heat and massage may help loosen things up.

Web reference: http://beautybybrueck.com

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Post op

+1

this tightness is very normal after a tummy tuck. when the muscles are sutured in the midline it takes time for them to readjust to the new tension

Tightness is common after tummy tuck

+1

When the abdominal muscle fascia is sutured in a tummy tuck it is normal to feel tightness.  This may last for 6 months but usually gets progressively better over time.  The worst is usually in the first 6 weeks with each week after being less tight than the last.

Web reference: http://www.plasticsurgerysocal.com/TummyTuckAbdominoplasty.htm

Tummy Tuck Muscle Spasms

+1

Hi glendab,

Are you 4 days, 4 weeks, or 4 months post-op? Sensations to a lesser degree than you describe could be expected in the early post-op period.

The feeling of a rope or something wrapped around your middle is probably due to the "muscle tightening" (diastasis repair) part ot the TT.

In my experience, the severity of your symptoms is not typical. Be sure your PS is aware of your distress and get his advice.

Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Muscle spasm after tummy tuck

+1

I can't ascertain how long it has been since your surgery from your question.  However, having some muscle spasm during your recovery period, especially early on, is common after a tummy tuck.  The use of muscle relaxants as well as support can help those spasms.  Over time, your muscle will adjust and those spasms should not persist.  If you have more questions, talk to your surgeon.  Good luck!

Recovery following an abdomioplasty

+1

Symptoms such as yours are not unusual after an abdominoplasty.  The muscles of the anterior abdominal wall can certainly go into and out of spasm during your recovery period.  It is very common that patient's feel more comfortable wearing the compression garment, it seems to give them a feeling of support.  Given time you will certainly get back to normal.  Stretching and massage certainly help.  Follow the advice from your plastic surgeon.  

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.