Will Loosing 10 Pounds After a Tummy Tuck Ruin It?

I am 115 pounds, 5'5. I am at my ideal weight. I am going in for a tummy tuck soon but I was wondering if loosing 5-10 pounds would ruin a tummy tuck? I ask because I sometimes fast for 30 days throughout the year and loose about 10 pounds, down to about 107 and then after I break fast I get back up to 115. Will loosing and gaining 10 pounds make a difference?

Loosing weight after an abdominoplasty

+1

On some individuals 10 pounds could make a difference and on others it will make no difference. It all depends upon your existing skin elasticity. Fortunately the fist 10 pounds is usually intra-abdominal or visceral fat and should help to make your abdomen even flatter.

Weight Loss after Tummy Tuck

+1

8 or 10 lb gain or loss after tummy tuck probably makes very little difference in the result, and this should not prevent you from having the procedure performed. 

Weight loss

+1

Losing another ten pounds after surgery will not hurt your results. If you have good skin tone you will look even better

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Weight Loss After A Tummy Tuck

+1

Most patients naturally lose weight after their tummy tuck through the healing process. Their would be no benefit to you deliberately doing so at your existing weight. A 10 lb weight loss will not effect the results of your tummy tuck but I would not do it before 3 to 6 months after your surgery to make sure you heal properly.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

10 pound weight loss from "ideal" weight will not affect your tummy tuck result. But why lose 10 pounds?

+1

If you are at your self-described "ideal weight," then why do you fast and lose almost 10% body weight below ideal? This is neither necessary, nor good for your overall health.

All of us answering here agree so far that this amount of weight gain/loss will not have a visible effect on your tummy tuck result.

But I'm still puzzled, and a bit worried about the rationale and reasoning behind your fast, weight loss, and then weight gain. Most physicians who are experts in metabolism and healthy lifestyle will tell you this is not recommended. Godspeed and best wishes with your upcoming surgery, but please reconsider your fasting regimen. I am concerned it might not be good for you, even though you obviously feel it's somehow tied to your maintenance of "ideal weight." Just stay at your Ideal weight! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Hello

+1

Losing weight specially 10 pounds will not make a huge difference in your results. Good for you.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Losing 10 pounds after tummy tuck.

+1

A small weight loss of 10 pounds should not effect the overall result of the tummy tuck as the weight is distributed throughout your body. It will likely just enhance the overal look of your entire body. Good luck.

Brian J. Lee, MD
Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Weight Loss after Tummy Tuck

+1

Losing 10 pounds should not adversely affect your tummy tuck. Many of my patients lose additional weight after their tummy tuck procedures, without causing the skin to become loose. If you anticipate losing 20-30 pounds, I would advise you to lose most of that PRIOR to the tummy tuck, but 10 pounds shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck!

Andres Taleisnik, M.D.

Andres Taleisnik, MD

Ten pounds should not affect your tummy tuck

+1

Generally a weight gain or loss of ten pounds will not significantly affect your tummy tuck result. Considering that your set weight is 115 however, the ten pounds is a fairly significant portion of your body weight. If your skin elasticity is good you should still look well despite the gains and loss.

Losing weight after tummy tuck (tt)

+1

In 14+ years of practice I have NEVER seen a TT patient look worse after losing only 5-10 lbs. I do counsel patients that if they are going to lose more than 10-15 lbs after surgery they should get closer to that weight before doing the TT.  But I did have a patient that lost like 30 lbs and even though she had loose skin she was still very happy.  Sometimes people need to get that overhanging fat/skin off before they can really exercise the way they need to in order to lose additional weight. Best of luck to you.

James E. Chappell, MD