Top-Best Septoplasty Surgeons?

After having faith in 2 doctors (plastic surgeon and ENT) who performed a septoplasty to fix my nose (deviated septum/breathing problems), and having it fail... I am wondering if there are any listings out there, or specific surgeons highly regarded as being at the top of the field performing septoplasty. Where/how might I be able to find such info? If I am going to try this again I want to be in the best hands, & will travel to do so.

Many choices but...

+2

Hi,

Facial Plastics and ENT surgeons are the ones that can address breathing issues and the septum.  More importantly, you may have other causes of nasal obstruction such as the health of your internal mucosa, your turbinates, your internal and external valves, etc.

Proper diagnosis is the most important thing.  You can also look for Rhinologists such as Dr. David Kennedy in Philadephia at UPenn and see what he has to say.

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Top-Best Septoplasty Surgeons

+1

Sorry to hear about your negative experience.  The specialty of the surgeon can be quite diverse. There are some excellent board certified plastic surgeons and there are some excellent facial plastic surgeons for septoplasty.  The key is to find an experienced surgeon who is skilled in the procedure and who understands your objectives. Considering your history, you will need to take extra care to find the right surgeon for you. Consult with 5 - 6 in your area to find one that can best manage your case.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Nasal Obstruction

+1

Nasal obstruction, which is the term used to decribe difficulty breathing from the nose is best handled by a surgeon  proficient in functional rhinoplasty.  In general, the surgeon should be able to address all of the anatomic factors responsible for nasal obstruction.  These factors include the following:

• Deviated Septum- While many deviated septums can be repaired effectively by otolaryngologists, a smaller subset of facial plastic surgeons will have experience correcting deviations which are more diffiicult to correct such as deviation of the front of the septum (caudal aspect) and top of the septum (dorsal aspect).  Here a complex reconstruction may be necessary in order to improve breathing.
  • Collapse of External Valve- In some cases, the nose can be weaker here, either congenitally (the way you or born) or as a result of surgery
  • Collaspe of Internal Valve-See above.  Both of these areas may neccesitate complex grafting techniques.
  • Turbinate Hypertrophy- The turbinates serve to improve humidification of air.  In some cases, the enlargement of the turbinate can obstruct the airrway.

A facial plastic surgeon may be more apt at placement of grafts in appropriate locations and addressing more complex septal deviations.  

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

ENT board certified in facial plastics is best for difficult septoplasty

+1

There are no listings of the best septoplasty surgeons in the country. Look for a surgeon who is board certified in ear, nose, and throat surgery. An additional benefit would be a surgeon who is board certified in facial plastic and reconstructive surgery as well. Look for a surgeon who has performed thousands of both septoplasty and rhinoplasty operations before embarking on your third septoplasty procedure. A third septoplasty operation is a difficult procedure, especially since there is now scar tissue present. In addition to the septoplasty, make sure the surgeon addresses any turbinates issues that may be causing obstruction in the nasal passageway.

Trust Your Face to a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

It is likely that your nasal obstruction may not be due to a deviated septum.  You need to be evaluated by a Facial Plastic Surgeon to determine the exact cause of your nasal obstruction.  Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons are the experts at functional and cosmetic nasal surgery.  You may find a Board Certified Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon at The American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery  Warmest regards, Dr. Pippin.

Gregory Pippin, MD
Metairie Facial Plastic Surgeon