Will Repairing my Septum Straighten my Nose on the Outside Too?

I have a deviated septum from a break about 7 years back. I snore and always have a stuffy nose now. I'd like to get my septum repaired for those reasons. However, the outside of my nose is crooked as well and I was wondering if straightening the septum inside of my nose will make the outside appear straighter. If it doesn't, how much extra will I have to pay (estimate) to repair my nose on an aesthetic level?

Crooked nose question.

+1

Your nose is crooked likely due to the injury you sustained.  A deviated septum that extends to the dorsum of the nose is contributing to this problem. You also appear to have nasal bone asymmetry and asymmetry of your nasal mid third.  A Septorhinoplasty would be the appropriate procedure to straighten your nose.  Crooked noses can generally be improved.  They are often challenging to perfectly realign.  Prices vary.  Typically you would be expecting to pay an additional 6000 dollars.

Web reference: http://www.solomonfacialplastic.com/rhinoplasty-toronto/primary-rhinoplasty.php

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Repairing septum unlikely to straighten outside of nose

+1
A septoplasty is performed to improve airflow through the nose when the septum is deviated. This is billed to the patient’s medical insurance and is done out of medical necessity. Any straightening of the external portion of the nose is considered cosmetic and  patient'sfor this portion themselves. Fixing the septum will not straighten the external portion of the nose. A rhinoplasty will have to be performed to straighten the external portion of the nose. Turbinate surgery may or may not also be performed to help improve the airflow through the nose in addition to the septoplasty.

Web reference: http://www.seattle-rhinoplasty.com

Nose still crooked

+1

Repairing and decreasing the deviation of your septum more than likely will still not fix the outside curvature of your nose. For this, you would need a rhinoplasty in addition to the septoplasty. This does increase the cost by several thousand. It should not add to the length of your recovery though except that you would have a splint on your nose and you probably would have more bruising around your eyes.

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

So goes the septum, so goes the nose

+1

If the top part of your septum is very crooked, then straightening that area will straighten at least a portion of your nose. However, it appears that you have a crooked dorsum or bony area as well that would require that to be straightened as well. Costs vary from region to region but the additional costs for that part of your nose is about 2500 in the Jacksonville area. I hope this information helps.

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

A Good Bet Straightening Your Septum Will Improve the Crookedness

+1

Hello, Good Badger.

Yes, you have it right. Most likely the injury " broke" the septum internally resulting in the outside crookedness.

In our specialty, there is a great saying: " As the septum goes, so goes the nose".

Fixing it should help breathing problem also. Very common problem.

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS

Attended University of Wisconsin, Madison.  Vacation every summer in Green Lake, WI at Camp Otis; 9 miles from Ripon.