Septoplasty after right punch to my nose

I broke my nose from a right punch to the left side of my nose about 7 months ago. My septum is crooked and blocks breathing from my right nostril. Since I can't breathe would it be covered by insurance? What is the ideal time to have the surgery? Can anyone recommend an experienced surgeon specializing in septoplasty in Los Angeles that doesn't use packing (or dissolvable) or splints?

Septoplasty

+1

After an injury, the best time is within about seven days to correct the crookedness. After that, probably anytime after one month when a lot of the swelling would have gone down. Yes, if you have difficulty breathing and have crookedness of your nose, the insurance company may cover both the septoplasty as well as the rhinoplasty. I do use packing but it is a sponge type that I remove one or two days after surgery. I do not use inside splints or vaseline type packing. I use the packing to provide a tamponade type efect anmd decrease the bleding as well as swelling. It may also keep the septum lined up. So, it would help in your healing too. I have long abandoned using the large amount of gauze packing,leaving it in place for a long time and the slpints which I use to make out of xray film. Not only where they painful to remove(patients often said it was the worst part of the surgery) but of questionable value.

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Deviated septum after trauma / punch to nose

+1

Trauma to the nose is a common reason for a deviated septum which can cause nasal airway obstruction.  Correcting this with septoplasty or nasal valve repair should be covered by insurance.  However, taking down a hump, refining the nasal tip, or other cosmetic changes to the nose may not be covered.  Seek an experienced nasal surgeon for a full evaluation. 

Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon