How Much Discharge and Buildup is Normal After Septorhinoplasty?

How much discharge and blood buildup should I expect? I had septorhinoplasty four days ago. The volume of discharge has decreased, however now both nostrils are filling up with hardening bloody discharge - both nostrils may be blocked soon. Should I be concerned? What should I do?

Drainage after nasal surgery is normal...

+1

Every nasal surgery, rhinoplasty, septoplasty, turbinoplasty or sinus surgery will create nasal drainage. This is completely normal. Increasing pain or a fever is not and you should check with your surgeon if you notice any of these symptoms. We really stress post surgery nasal care with regular cleaning using hydrogen peroxide and saline rinsing to keep the build-up down. I feel that one of the leading causes of post surgical pain is crusting and we try to prevent it with nasal care. Check with your surgeon for more information.

Oklahoma City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Discharge after rhinoplasty

+1

It would be best to consult your physician immediately, as he/she knows the extent of your procedure and exactly what was performed. It is normal to have discharge the first few days following surgery. However, when it gets to the point you describe, it would be best to have your physician look take a look. This issue should not be difficult to take care of with irrigation. Hope this helps answer your question. Thank you and best of luck.

Dr. Nassif

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Nasal congestion after septorhinoplasty

+1

It is quite normal to be "stuffed up" for up to two weeks after a nasal surgery such as a septorhinoplasty. It is also normal to have some blood tinged drainage for a week or so. If you have crusting or buildup, it can be lessened with saline rinses and application of topical vaseline or antibiotic ointment. I would ask your doctor for his recommendations. I hope this information helps.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon