Tip of Suture Sticking out of Tummy Tuck Incision, is This Normal?

I'm 4 months po tummy tuck and a tip of a stitch just poked out of incision where lumps are stitches were dissolvable will this little stitch tip go away on it's own.

Sutures coming out from Tummy Tuck Incision

+1

Sometimes the dissolvable sutures can find their way through the skin. Typically they can be removed and the healing typically should be uneventful. 

Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Suture Extrusion After A Tummy Tuck

+1

Suture extrusion is a very common nuisance in tummy tucks that occurs many months after the procedure. They often appear as small bumps or lumps that get inflamed and may even get like a pimple and drain. Once the suture end sticks out from the incision, it will not dissolve once exposed to the air. It is best that it is removed to prevent any further inflammation. Your doctor will be able to remove it quite easily in the office.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Sutures spitting after tummytuck not an unusual problem

+1

sutures, even dissolvable types, are a foreign material and will sometimes "spit" as you describe. this is similar to what a thorn or woodsplinter might do. if it doesn't seem to take care of itself in a matter of days, or if it should seem like it's infected, then get in to see your surgeon, who will likely be able to remedy it in fairly short order.

not to worry, this is a fairly common occurance!

Bruce K. Barach, MD
Schenectady Plastic Surgeon

Suture Sticking out After Tummy Tuck

+1

This is not unusual. Call your surgeon's office to have it removed or they may instruct you to clip it yourself.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Suture spitting

+1

Thanks for your question. Absorbable sutures sometimes spit or come to the surface, this is fairly common and is not alarming.  Your surgeon's office can remove them for you.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Tip of Suture Sticking out of Tummy Tuck Incision

+1

Sometimes the body does not dissolve a stitch and instead literaly pushes it out. Such spitting sutures are easily and painlessly removed. Just see your surgeon and he will be glad to help you get rid of it.

Suture issues post op tummy tuck

+1

Dear Denise,

As annoying as the sutures poking through your incision can be, most can be easily and quickly managed in your surgeon's office.  Call and follow up with with your surgeon.  This is not uncommon.  Good luck

Craig Harrison, MD, PA
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and dissolvable sutures?

+1

Sometimes, dissolvable sutures take a little longer to dissolve and may cause issues such as what you are experiencing. The  sutures will dissolve on their own;  if they become problematic removal of the suture should allow for healing and no further intervention.

Suture Spitting After A Tummy Tuck

+1

It is very common to have subcuticular sutures turn over and have their ends come out through the skin.  They were placed upside down with the ends going downward, but the healing forces turn them over, and when they come through the skin, it is technically called "spitting".  These will not dissolve because there is no moisture around to help them dissolve.   Therefore, they need to be removed.  Please make an appointment to see your plastic surgeon and have them removed. 

Here in Hawaii, this becomes a particularly big problem because we have a lot of bacteria in the ocean, and if one goes swimming while these are sticking out, it becomes a route of entry for bacteria.  I tell all my patients, if they see a stitch spitting, they have to come in right away to my office, and to stay away from pools or the beach because it may lead to an infection.

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon