Will my Tummy Tuck Be Ruined After Pregnancy Although I Would Be Dieting and Exercising ?

hey....i am a 26 years old single female who is planning to do a tummy tuck next week.my question is if i got married one day will my tummy tuck be ruined even if i kept dieting and exercising during and after pregnancy?

Pregnancy after tummy tuck?

+1
Thank you for your post. You certainly can have a baby after tummy tuck. In a tummy tuck, we are putting your body back together similiar to what you were like before you were pregnant. Your muscle tension, your skin and your fat contours are adjusted. Once you are fully healed from your surgery, your body is just as able to accept a pregnancy as it was before your first pregnancy. However, if your belly area stretched after your first pregnancy, then you are likely to stretch again after your next pregnancy. Most surgeons recommend to have a tummy tuck after you are finished having childern, however, in certain instances, such as starting to date again, or just not being happy with your post pregnancy body, then it makes sense to go ahead and have a tummy tuck. Just realize that you may need a revision later on.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Results Affected by Pregnancy

+1
In many cases, tummy tuck results are adversely affected by pregnancy. However, this is not always the case. If you maintain a healthy exercise regimen and diet, then you'll improve your body contour and may be satisfied with your body contour even after pregnancy.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Pregnancy After Tummy Tuck Considerations

+1

This is a tough question as some women have good elasticity ( you probably do not if you are having a tummy tuck) and do well after pregnancy. It is quite possible that you may need a revision after pregnancy even with proper diet, and exercise during pregnancy. In the big picture, probably a small price to pay.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Pregnancy following a tummy tuck

+1

If you undergo a tummy tuck and decide later on to have children, there is a good possibility that the skin will stretch out and you may need the tummy tuck redone. There is no way to know for sure and even proper weight control during pregnancy may not prevent it from occurring.  But it sounds like you are several years away from having to deal with the issue, so go ahead and proceed with your surgery and enjoy your flat tummy!

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Pregnancy and tummy tuck

+1

Thank you for your question. There is no way to predict how your body will respond after pregnancy.  I would advise that if there is a good chance that you will become pregnant in the future that you consider either getting a skin and fat-only tummy tuck or consider postponing the tummy tuck until after pregnancy. Discuss these issues and all of your questions specifically with your plastic surgeon. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Pregnancy Will Adversely Affect Tummy Tuck Results

+1

I don't know if ruined is the right word, but it is clear it will mar the result to some degree. It is impossible to predict in anyone how much of a change it will make due to a variety of variables. But pregnancy and tissue expansion are not helpful in maintaining the results of a tummy tuck. I have had a handful of tummy tuck patients who had tummy tucks and got pregnant later. They all eventually desired a revision of their original tummy tuck at some point after their delivery.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Will my tummy tuck be ruined by pregnancy?

+1

NO, your tummy tuck will not be ruined, but you may need further revision surgery to improve after future pregnancies.

Steve Laverson, MD

Tummy Tuck Before Pregnancy

+1

There is no way to predict how things will turn out after a pregnancy. Most women have tummy tucks after their last planned pregnancy.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Pregnancy after tummy tuck

+1

I agree with the previous postings that there is no way to know what the outcome will be after a pregnancy if you have a tummy tuck.  I have had women do well and not need any further procedures.  I have also had several who subsequently chose to have a secondary abdominoplasty.  You did not explain why you are having a tummy tuck at age 26.  This seems a bit unusual unless you have had a previous pregnancy or have undergone a significant weight loss. 

Jeffrey E. Kyllo, MD

Pregnancy After Tummy Tuck

+1

There is just no way to answer your question for sure other than a pregnancy can be completely normal after a tummy tuck and it is unlikely to "ruin" the surgery. That does not mean you may not want a little touch up to the surgery after the baby is born.  It is absolutely crucial that you are sure you are not pregnant at the time of the tummy tuck..

Ronald V. DeMars, MD