Ultherapy Vs Fraxel for Skin Tightening and Shrinking Pores

Hi, I am mid 40s & have aged pretty well, no wrinkles.BUT I have sagging in the jowl & neck & recently noticed my cheeks have started sagging too,which makes my eye hollows look deeper(I have naturally high cheekbones & deep set eyes).

With my cheeks sagging my once poreless skin now has stretchy large pores.I had restylane filled in the eye hollows.I have read on both Fraxel & Ulthera. Which is better for tightening/pore shrinkage & general skin texture smoothing? Can they be used together?Thanks

Ultherapy Vs. Fraxel

+2

Ultherapy treats underneath the skin so it will do nothing for hyper-pigmentation, and very litte for texture, fine lines, wrinkles or pore size but, it does tighten and lift skin. So, it’s a great treatment to combine with laser skin resurfacing because the laser treats the surface of the skin. The best treatment/technology for laser skin resurfacing is a CO2 fractional laser. This laser is considered the most effective treatment for combating wrinkles, aging, and many other skin imperfections on the surface level. It’s important to consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon to see if you are a good candidate for either Ulthera or laser skin resurfacing and to discuss the possible risks and benefits of both.

Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ultherapy vs. Fraxel

+2

I have both the  Fraxel Repair Laser (CO2 Laser) and Ultherapy and I have used both of them on some patients.  They do different things.  The Fraxel Repair is for skin surface irregularities such as wrinkles, scars and pigment irregularities from sun damage.  Ultherapy is for facial lifting and tightening.  Fraxel also tightens the skin, but it doesn't lift the deeper layers as Ultherapy can.  They are complementary procedures and I have seen excellent results with the procedures combined.  

Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Don't expect your pores to change after Ultherapy with Ulthera, Fraxel may or may not help

+2

Some patients do get improvement in their pore size with Fraxel, but some do not. I have not ever seen it get worse, though.  Ulthera is not going to affect the pore size as it only affects the deep dermis and connective tissue layers without changing the surface of the skin.  You mentioned that your pores are visible now after your cheeks have sagged but if they are lifted to some extent with Ulthera, the pores will not look better.  Sometimes volumization of deflated cheeks can help the surface look better in some patients. I have not found one device, nor chemical peel, whether a superficial or medium depth peel, to consistently shrink pore size, but I have seen a greater percent of Fraxel patients see improvement in pores than other treatments.

Web reference: http://www.thenyac.com/fraxel/index.html

Best Treatment for Skin Tightening and Pores...Ulthera or Fraxel Laser?

+2

Hi,

Ulthera is better for the treatment of sagging of your jowls, cheeks, and neck.  Ulthera is a deeper treatment, targeting the muscle lining and deep undersurface of the skin with ultrasound heat energy.  It is the only device FDA approved for both tightening and lifting of the facial skin and muscles. 

Fraxel is a more superficial treatment that is better for wrinkles and pores (though there is some improvement of pores in the areas treated with Ulthera).  These two treatments can be used together, even at the same treatment setting (Ulthera before Fraxel).

The other synergistic treatment with Ulthera and Fraxel is Sculptra injections. Choose your treating physician most carefully, make sure that they share your artistic vision.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Ulthera is all about face lifting without sugery

+2

The "Big Deal" about Ulthera is not just skin tightening, thats the same page we have been on with Lasers and Thermage for  now over eight years, but whats different about Ulthera is "Lift", and lift comes from Ulthera's noninvasive ultrasound energy tightening of the SMAS that same deep collagen over muscle, underneath the fat of the face, that are tightened with a face life, so the big deal with Ulthera is not just tightening of the deeper skin collagen, but the actual  lift of the underchin and cheeks, with the great news that you get to go work the next day.  Yes, you can do lasers right after Ulthera, and we love C02 lasers, but then you are buying into a recovery time of about a week,  why not take in one step at a time and just see how you do with Ulthera alone, because surprise of surprise, all of our several hundred patients after Ulthera, also are taking about something else, there skin is smoother, our men say, "My wife says my cheeks are more Kissable"

Portland Dermatologic Surgeon

Ulthera and Fraxel are great in combination

+2
Each technology is great on its own, but they address different issues and achieve results in different layers of the tissue. I use the Ulthera in conjunction with a Fractionated CO2 Laser (Alma Pixel CO2) to achieve better results than either could on its own as they complement each other. Ulthera is the premier technology for noninvasive facial tightening by causing its effects in the deeper layer of the skin and the more superficial subcutaneous tissue--with amazing results for jowls,sagging cheeks, and the neck. Fractionated CO2 works on the texture (pores) and tone of the skin while tightening superficial crepey skin and fine wrinkles. The Alma Pixel CO2 works on the superficial layers of the skin by affecting the mid-dermis. They complement each other wonderfully and in conjunction with Botox and Restylane can achieve a "nonsurgical facelift". We are one of the few practices in the New York area to offer this combination therapy. Best wishes in achieving your goals.
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Combo Treatments

+1
As new technologies become available, combination treatments have become very popular.  Ultherapy is currently the most popular non-surgical skin tightening procedure.  It utilizes micro focused ultrasound to heat deep into the skin and sub cutaneous structures resulting in skin tightening.  I has little measurable effect upon the skin color, texture, or pore size.
The Fraxel family of lasers (Fraxel Repair, Fraxel Restore, Fraxel Dual) treat more superficially in the skin.  These devices can dramatically improve the color, texture and fine lines.  Improvement of pore size can be hit or miss.  We have had success treating patients with both Ultherapy and Fraxel at the same time.
Danville Dermatologic Surgeon

Ultherapy versus Laser Peel

+1
Ultherapy targets the SMAS layer above our muscles to create collagen and tissue contraction and lifting. It generally does not affect the skin surface like a laser peel.

Web reference: http://sandiegoface.com/ultherapy/

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ultherapy versus Fraxel

+1

Hi,

Based on your description, it sounds like you would benefit best from a combination of both procedures.  Having both devices, I can tell you that hands down, Ultherapy is the best for mid to lower face sagging and jowling since it penetrates deeper.  Fraxel is designed for superficial skin refinement especially pore tightening.

Dr.Liu

Web reference: https://www.m

Newport Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Ultherapy vs. Fraxel

+1

Thank you for an excellent question. As new technology develops, it is often difficult to determine the differences between them and which is used for whom. As for these two non-invasive treatments, they are quite different in how they work and what they treat.

-Ultherapy uses a focused ultrasound energy to work beneath the skin and on the deep layers of the skin. This causes a lifting effect for areas like the brows, cheeks, and neck. It also causes collagen rearrangement, which improves the skin. It does not improve the superficial aspects of the skin, so it is not a treatment for fine lines and wrinkles.

-Fraxel creates small holes in the skin which then produces tightening of the skin. It does not provide any lifting of the deeper structures, but does provide more superficial tightening of the skin.

The proper choice really depends on what aspects of your face you are hoping to improve upon. If it is tissue decent that you are hoping to treat, then Ultherapy is a better choice. If you are hoping to treat the more superficial aspects of your skin, then Fraxel may be best. Consulting with your plastic surgeon about the options is always the best way to determine the best option for you.

Best of luck with you face.

Jeff Rockmore

Albany Plastic Surgeon