Would You Recommend Ultherapy for a Person with Trigeminal Neuralgia?

I am diagnosed with Trigeminal neuralgia. For the past 18 months I've been pain free. I am 55 and considering Ultherapy but concerned that the treatment might trigger my Trigeminal neuralgia. Does the treatment go that deep? Perhaps I could just do my neck and avoid my face? Any information will be appreciated. Thank you. Ann

Ultherapy for neck with history of trigeminal neuralgia for the face

+1

If you had trigeminal neuralgia, it is possible that the painful condition could redevelop from the local stress to the cheeks overlying some of the sensory nerve branches of the maxillary division of the Trigeminal nerve. No one is certain as to the cause of the nerve pain. One theory is compression of the nerve from a blood vessel pushing on it, and if this were the case, then ultherapy would not affect that area, but as it's not proven, I would avoid treatment of the cheek. If you have a mandibular trigeminal pain, then the jaw is affected too and treatment of the neck might irritate some nerve endings near the area, despite the Utlherapy not treating the jawline itself. You might want to ask your ENT or neurologist, their advice.

TN and Ulthera

+1

I would exercise extreme caution when treating a patient with trigeminal neuralgia with Ulthera. The reason for my trepidation is that the physiology of this condition is not well understood. As such, I would exercise caution in applying the device that can penetrate 3-4mm deep in the skin. We know that sensory nerves are present in that depth.

Cameron Rokhsar, MD

Is Ultherapy Safe in Patients with Trigeminal Neuralgia

+1

Trigeminal neuralgia is a painful condition often associated with the middle division of the sensory nerve of the face, the trigeminal nerve.  The nerve exits about 1 inch below the eye to provide sensation to the cheek and upper lip.  This is right in the middle of the typical Ultherapy treatment.  While the Ultherapy does not go deep enough to effect the main branch of the nerve, it will definitely effect the divisions of the nerve.  The risk is that the treatment will trigger the trigeminal neuralgia to become active.  I would advise against treating the cheek for this reason.  As for just treating the neck, the concern here would be that the reduced procedure would not be satisfactory aesthetically.  You should have a discussion with your physician regarding this question.

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon