What Type of Doctor Should I See for Thinning Hair?

I am a 53 year old woman and my hair has lost its body and is thinning. Who should I see? Can a dermatologist help me?

See primary doctor first for hair loss

+4

There are many common causes for the hair loss. Among them are changes in hormone levels, increased stress, or illness, scalp and dermatological issues, various medications, and certainly heredity.

Even a poor diet could lead to increased hair loss over the time. Anytime the hair loss is experienced, it should be consulted with your primary physician, first who should be able to refer you to dermatologist-scalp and skin specialist or endocrinologist.

There are many specialists that deal with the problem of thinning hair. Most important there are many treatments available and often the hair loss can be reversible.

Consult a dermatologist specializing in hair loss

+2

Consider consultation with a dermatologist who has an interest in hair loss disorders. They can, admittedly, be difficult to find. Looks like you are about 3 hours away from a noted hair loss expert, Dr. Elise Olsen at Duke University. If it is very important to you, it may be worthwhile for you to travel. Hair loss cannot be appropriately diagnosed without a face-to-face consultation.

Good Luck.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

See a dermatologist or plastic surgeon hair replacement specialist

+2

You should probably see either a dermatologist or a plastic surgeon that specializes in hair replacement procedures. Thinnning hair can be treated medically or surgically depending upon the cause.

See a dermatologist or hair restoration plastic surgeon

+2

A dermatologist or a plastic surgeon with interest in hair restoration would be the ideal start. They will be able to start you on some hair preservation products or diagnose the cause of the thining and treat it.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Hair loss doctor

+1
A board certified Dermatologist is best trained to diagnose and manage diseases of the hair. It would be best to select such a doctor who has a special interest in hair loss. If you are considering a surgical treatment, I would recommend selecting a physician who only does hair transplant and nothing else. This type of physician has the most experience to give you the best possible results. 

Jennifer Ahdout, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist

Hair Thinning should be evaluated by Board-Certified Dermatologist

+1

Before men or women invest in hair restoration, consultation and workup by a board-certified dermatologist experienced should be performed first to rule out other medical conditions that may trigger hair thinning and second to maximize medical therapy. Full medical therapy as prescribed and outlined by a board-certified dermatologist must continue in order to protect one's investment in hair transplant such as NeoGraft hair restoration.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

ISHRS

+1

The International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery is a good first option. Not every dermatologist is knowledgable about the nuances of hair loss and the most up to date options dealing with the diagnoses and treatment.

John E. Frank, MD

Board-certified dermatologists are the experts for hair loss

+1

A board-certified dermatologist has specialty training in the diagnosis and treatment of skin, hair and nail disorders and would best to diagnose hair loss.  Evaluation should include a history, examination and perhaps blood work and a biopsy.  It is important to get a diagnosis before treating your hair loss especially as some types of hair loss are permanent if diagnosis is delayed.

Dina D. Strachan, MD

Thinning hair - Contact your primary physician first!

+1

Anytime hair loss is experienced, you should consult your primary physician, who should be able to refer you to a physician that specializes in hair restoration.
Thinning hair can be treated medically or surgically depending upon the cause.  Personal consultation will allow the client to review options for best results.

"Dr.D"

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Consult A Board-Certified Dermatologist for Hair Loss

+1

If you suspect you have hair loss and would like to be evaluated, I recommend you consult with a board-certified dermatologist experienced in hair loss and hair loss treatments.  Make sure to ask about credentials and experience treating hair loss.  There are many different types and causes of hair loss and an evaluation should be very thorough.  

Channing R. Barnett, MD