Is There Any Treatment to Darken Gray or White Hairs to Improve Laser Hair Removal Treatments?

Laser Hair Removal Treatment to Gray or White Hair

+1

Thank you for your question. For gray or white hair, I would recommend electrolysis.  Laser hair removal targets the melanin in your hair. There are no current options to darken gray hairs to improve laser hair removal I hope this helps.

Bay Area Dermatologist

You Can't trick the Laser

+1

I agree with my colleagues that changing the hair color does not fool the laser beam that will only see the dark hair at the root. The gray hair might need to be treated with electrolysis ( if you can find someone who still does this)

Beverly Johnson, MD
Washington DC Dermatologist

Does darkening the hair improve laser hair removal results

+1

Lasers create a beam of highly concentrated light that penetrates deep into the skin where it delivers a controlled amount of therapeutic heat. This light energy is absorbed by the pigment located in the hair follicles. Darkening your hair does not change the pigmentation at the level of the hair follicle and will have no effect on improving the result of your laser hair removal treatment.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser Hair treatment

+1

Laser hair reduction only works when hair that is being treated has enough color to absorb the laser energy. very light color hair will not respond, and at this time there is no way to change its color deep in the follicle where the energy has to be absorbed.

Shahriar Mabourakh, MD, FACS
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Laser hair removal on gray and white hairs doesn't work

+1

No.  Laser hair removal does not work on gray or white or blonde or red hairs.  Save your money for something else.  

Rebecca Baxt, MD
Paramus Dermatologist