Will Laser Hair Removal Help Keratosis Pilaris?

I have kp pretty bad on my upper arms and makes me very self conscious. Will laser hair removal get rid of the kp or at least make it better? Are there any other solutions for kp? I'm pretty desperate and willing to spend a good chunk of money to get rid of those bumps!

Treatment of keratosis pilaris

+2

Keratosis pilaris is a harmless but tough problem to treat.  It is caused by a plug in the hair follicles which is why most treatments involve some kind of exfoliation- and with modest results.  It is unlikely to improve with laser hair removal.

+1

Laser hair removal is a technology which works by targeting pigment in the hair to heat and destroy the follicle. It is only effective on dark hairs. Unless the hair on your upperarms has dark pigment, it will not be an effective treatment. Gentle exfoliation is the best option to minimize kp, but unfortunately nothing is going to cure the problem.

Meg Cherry, MD
Birmingham Dermatologic Surgeon