Plucking Hair and Going to Laser Hair Removal in 3 Weeks?

Hello Doctor, I am in a bit of a dilema, this is my 3rd laser hair removal treatment and this time i decided to pluck some of the hair follicles on my chin and upper lip. I did not realize that you should not pluck inbetwen treatments and my next appointment is in 3 weeks. Should i reschedule to let the hair i plucked regrow or is 3 weeks enough time for hair regrowth?

Laser hair removal and plucking

+1

I normally ask patients to not pluck for 2-4 weeks.  4 weeks is optimal, but most people can't stand it for more than 2 weeks. I think 3 weeks should be okay.  Ask your doctor who is doing the treatment.  Good luck.  

Paramus Dermatologist

Plucking hairs before laser hair removal treatment

+1

Any method of hair removal such as waxing or tweezing will remove the deeper portions of the hair follicle which contain the "target pigmentation" and will render laser hair removal ineffective for at least two weeks. Either shaving or depilatory creams can be used up to the day of the laser treatment as they do not remove the entire hair shaft. Three weeks should be fine but you can certainly wait a little longer if you're concerned.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Plucking Before Laser Hair Removal

+1

Hi anon.  If a patient has waxed, plucked or otherwise removed the hair we are supposed to be treating, we normally ask them to wait 4 weeks before returning for a treatment.  Hope this helps.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD