Is There Harm with Taking an Antibiotic Before Surgery?

My surgery is schedule for 12/28. I have come down with possible sinus infection and started taking and antibiotic on 12/18. I will be taking it for 8 days. I am having a BR and a TT. I know I must get my sinus cleared up first. I'm just wondering could there be a problem going into surgery with this amoxicillin in my system when I know they will have me on another antibiotic during Surgery. Thank you in advance for your response.

Sinus infection before surgery

+1
Having amoxicillin in your system prior to surgery is not problematic - the major issue here is making sure your infection has cleared up before proceeding with elective surgery. You should let your surgeon know ASAP what you're dealing with so that he or she can make sure it is safe to proceed.

Antibiotics & Surgery

+1

It’s not unusual for patients to develop infections that require antibiotics prior to scheduled surgical procedures. Under these circumstances, the antibiotics should be taken as prescribed. They don’t represent a problem as long as they adequately treat the infection for which they were prescribed.

In your case, it’s important that your sinus infection be adequately treated. It’s also important that you discuss this issue with your plastic surgeon before proceeding with surgery.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Antibiotics before surgery

+1

As long as you tell your surgeon and anesthesiologist about the antibiotic you are taking, there is no actual harm from the antibiotic itself.  That being said, you must also tell them about your sinus infection and make sure it is cleared up before surgery.  If it is not, the stress of surgery can make your infection worse.  Good luck.

Sacha Obaid, MD

Antibiotics prior to surgery

+1

Antibiotics should be ok, but I would make sure your sinus infection is cleared. Good luck with your surgery.

Antibiotic Prior to Surgery Harmful

+1

In general, antibiotics prior to an operation will not negatively impact results.  However, having a sinus infection that has not been fully treated should delay the surgery.  Let your doctor make the call. 

Taking antibiotic before Mommy Makeover.

+1

An advantage of elective surgery is that you should be in the best condition for surgery as possible.  Please speak with your Plastic Surgeon candidly as to what is your current condition.  He/She may want to reschedule you when you are closer to 100 percent.  Each case is different, so let him/her know what is going on so you can both plan the best outcome for you.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Taking Antibiotics Prior to Surgery

+1

In general, it is fine to have antibiotics in your system prior to surgery BUT I would highly recommend that you talk to your plastic surgeon and let him/her know about your sinus infection and also get clearance from your primary care to proceed with surgery.  

It is in your best interest to be as healthy as possible prior to this "elective" surgery.  

Flu/Sinus Infection/Cold Increase Risks and Complications Of Mommy Makover Surgery- ask Dr Ellen

+1

Hello Cocoa19,

That is a great question and it is very important to understand that any signs and symptoms related to a cold, flu or sinus infection within 3 days of your Mommy Makeover, are all appropriate reasons to reschedule your elective surgery. 

Not only can a viral or bacterial infection lead to direct problems with your sites of surgery, but also can worsen your lung and sinus congestion-  particularly when general anesthesia is utilized- and even moreso if you are a smoker.

It is always better to err on the side of safety and take a conservative approach to scheduling elective surgery.  For these reasons, I would request medical clearance from your medical doctor in advance of performing your surgery and include the opinion of the anesthesiologist with whom I work, before proceeding with surgery.

Thanks for asking!  Dr Ellen

Ellen A. Mahony, MD
Westport Plastic Surgeon

Medical clearance for elective plastic surgery following a sinus infection

+1

There is most likely no problem with you taking an antibiotic for your sinus infection.  It is important that you have the sinus condition under control before you have your elective surgery.  If you have any questions get back in touch with your primary care physician so that you can be cleared for this procedure.  

Preop antibiotics

+1

I think you will be fine.  The preoperative antibiotics before your surgery should not affect your procedure or outcome.  Make sure your internist/PCP has cleared you to proceed with your surgery.  Remember your mommy makeover is elective.  You want your sinus issues completely resolved before proceeding with your elective procedure.  Best of luck.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS