Fleur Di Lis Abdominoplasty? (photo)

Hello, I'm 5"4 and weigh 77 kilo and am scheduled for a Fleur Di Lis tummy tuck with breast reduction and lift in two weeks. I'm two yrs post op from vertical sleeve gastrectomy and have lost over 40 kilo. My question is, is liposuction required with this kind of tummy tuck? I have spoken with my plastic surgeon here in Australia and he informs me that it is not necessary with this particular tummy tuck. I'm just not sure after looking at loads of before and after photo's on the net. Thanks.

Liposuction with abdominoplasty

A fleur de lis abdominoplasty is a tummy tuck that not only has the standard bikini line incision but also a vertical midline incision.  The advantage to this procedure is that it not only tightens your abdomen in the vertical direction but also in the horizontal direction.  For patients like yourself who have lost a lot of weight and who already have a vertical midline scar, this can be the perfect operation. 

Your question about combining liposuction with your abdominoplasty is really one of surgeon preference.  I personally always combine liposuction of the love handles with all of my abdominoplasties but I know many surgeons that never do it. If you are comfortable with your surgeon and his/her before and after pictures, I would trust their judgement on this.  Good luck.

415 E. Southlake Blvd.
Southlake, TX 76092

Liposuction with Fleur de Lis Tummy Tuck

The Fleur De Lis approach is great when a patient already has a vertical scar. It works very well to remove most of all the skin in the center, which is where most patients carry most of their weight. You probably will not need any additional liposuction. Judicious liposuction can be added to the flanks but sometimes it is safest to do this at another time. Trust your surgeon if you like his/her results. Good luck.

Ronald Schuster, MD

10807 Falls Rd.
Baltimore, MD 21093

Fleur Di Lis Abdominoplasty?

The real question is the liposuction could add additional risks to a very long operation. Not that it is not required. Best to re discuss with your surgeon to fully understand the risk/benefit ratios. 

6330 Manor Lane
Miami, FL 33143

Liposuction with tummy tuck

Certainly some liposuction with the tummy tuck will give you an improved results.  I always include this with the tummy tuck procedure and do not charge extra as most surgeons do.  It is simple and does not require that much time.

David Nicholas Csikai, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

3616 Cardinal Point Drive
Jacksonville, FL 32257

Fleur di lis tummy tuck question

Liposuction is a nice tool and may be helpful for your surgery. It is not a needed to perform your surgery. I am sure your doctor has it available should he or she think it is appropriate to use. Good Luck!

Gregory T. Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

8720 Stony Point Pkwy
Richmond, VA 23235

Lipoosuction “Necessary” with Tummy Tuck?

Congratulations on your significant weight loss and good luck with your upcoming procedure. Liposuction surgery is never “necessary” as part of a tummy tuck procedure.  Often, it is a useful tool for some patients undergoing tummy tuck surgery. It can be especially helpful in the “flank" areas  or for treatment of the suprapubic area.

For more specific advice,  don't hesitate to address this question ( again) with your plastic surgeon.

8851 Center Drive
San Diego, CA 91942

Liposuction with Tummy Tuck

Based on your pictures, you could have some liposuction in your flank area. However, this is best determined by your plastic surgeon. If you are unsure, an in person second opinion may be better.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

2333 W Irving Park Rd
Chicago, IL 60618

Fleur De Lis Tummy Tuck with Liposuction

Fleur de lis tummy tuck can be combined with liposuction.  However, whether the liposuction would add anything would be determined by the amount of fat on your flanks.

435 North Roxbury Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Fleur de lis vs circumferential with a fleur de lis

Thank you for the question and the photos.  The more excess skin that you have the longer the incisions need to be to achieve optimal results.  Since you have laxity in the vertical as well as the horizontal dimensions as well circumferentially around your waist you would likely be best served by a circumferential lower body lift (tummy tuck in the front, thigh lift on the sides, and buttock lift in the back) as well as a fleur de lis.  The fleur de lis part will improve the horizontal laxity of your abdomen.  This will all result in an incision around your waist all the way around as well as a vertical incision from pubic bone to xyphoid (area in the middle bewteen your rib cage edges).  Liposuction of the flank mat be performed as well but I suspect this would be of secondary importance compared to the removal of tissue in the manner discussed above.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

8900 E Raintree Rd
Scottsdale, AZ 85260

Fleur Di Lis Abdominoplasty

I think your surgeon has made a good choice of procedure for you. From the photos I do not see any localized areas of excess fat accumulation, and base just on the photos I don't see any pressing need for liposuction, which does add some risk to an already large operative procedure. 

Thanks for your question, best wishes. 

1110 112th Avenue NE
Bellevue, WA 98004