Traveling Before a Major Surgery?

I'm 55 years old and beside high cholesterol (which I'm taking medication for it) and back pain, I am healthy. I have scheduled a breast reduction and tummy tuck surgery on Jan. 8th 2013. My family wants to travel for a week within the State we live in and returning one week before the surgery. I am worried if I get sick or my immune system weakens. What do you think? Is this a wise decision? Also what should I avoid or do prior to surgery to improve the outcome? Thanks. Melody 55

Travel before mommy makeover

+1

I think you are safe to travel before mommy makeover without significant concern.  If for whatever reason, you do come down with a cold, sinus infection, etc.. then the critical thing is to let your surgeon and anesthesiologist know so that they can decide if you are safe to proceed with surgery or whether you should delay it.

With regards to your question about what you should be doing pre-op to get ready, I would take a multivitamin every day, make sure you are eating a healthy diet including plenty of protein and that you stop all aspirin, red wine or other blood thinning products 10 days before your surgery.

Pre surgery travels

+1

It should be fine for you to go and enjoy your travel plans before surgery.  You may want to consider a multi vitamin supplement to keep your body healthy and prepare for healing.  

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

Traveling Prior to Surgery

+1

Traveling 1 week prior to surgery should not negatively impact your results, particularly since you are not traveling abroad.  Good luck.

Traveling Prior to Surgery

+1

Traveling (in and of itself) prior to surgery is not a problem.  Yes, if you get sick then you may need to reschedule your surgery -- but you may get sick staying home as well.

Enjoy your time with your family.  Do the things you normally do to prevent sickness (eat healthy, get lots of rest, wash hands,etc).

Best wishes on your upcoming surgery!

Traveling Before Surgery

+1

You should be fine to travel 1 week before your procedure.  So go ahead and plan that trip with your family.  Enjoy.  And wishing you a speedy recovery from your scheduled surgery. I'm sure you will LOVE your results!

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Traveling Before a Major Surgery?

+1

There should be no increased risk with the surgery with your scheduled plans. Drink plenty of fluids on your trip and before the surgery.  Generally, on any trip, you should avoid sitting immobile for extended periods of time; get up and walk around and exercise your legs frequently. If you tend to get leg swelling, wear support stocking.  Discuss the pre-operative instructions with your plastic surgeon.

Robert Singer MD  FACS

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Traveling before surgery is not a problem.

+1

Enjoy your vacation.  You will be doing nothing to compromise the surgery you are facing when you return.  Pre-op preparation is dictated by your surgeon.

Traveling Before a Major Surgery?

+1

I see no problem. You can get sick at home as well as on the road. If you will be immobile for long periods of driving, wear support stockings, and move your legs and feet frequently.

Good luck with your upcoming surgery.