There is a Hard Bump on the Side of my Nose After my Septorhinoplasty? (photo)

I got a septorhinoplasty 11 days ago to fix my deviated septum, add a spreader graft to the right side, and refine a bump on the bridge. Now, there is a hard lump on the left side of my nose near the upper 1/3. It seems to be coming out more as time passes, and is very hard so I know it is not swelling. Why is this? What can I do? I have not called the surgeon yet as I know he will just say 11 days is too premature to tell a result. Could it be from where he took cartilage from my septum?

What To Do About A Hard Bump After Rhinoplasty- Call Your Surgeon

+2

It is too soon to tell. While you need to be patient, the only person that can give you any kind of an accurate answer is your own surgeon. Call him or her and let them know your concern. They are the only one who can put your mind to ease. Good luck.

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

+2

I would agree with your last comment. It is way to early for you to be worried about this. Placing spreader grafts and fixing the septal deviation requires lots of surgical dissection. There will be swelling for almost one year. Most of it will resolve in the first 3-6 months. You will have a much better idea at that time. Certain areas of concern will become soft and smooth with time. Give this many more months before you really worry. Be up front with your surgeon. We all want our patients to be happy in end. I think you will be in time. Good luck.

Septorhinoplasty and Post Operative Swelling

+2

Dear Kiyoshiflower, 

Yes you are correct that it is to soon for a surgeon outside of your surgeon to diagnose. Since we have only photographs to go on and no direct examination or knowledge of your exact procedure it is hard to determine what this "hump" is. Yes it may be swelling but more probable that it is cartilage or bone that may need some refinement after your swelling completely dissipates. You should discuss all concerns with your surgeon and upon direct examination he should be able to give you better answers to your questions. In response to what can you do? At this time really nothing except get some peace of mind and understand where you are in the recovery phase. Open a good conversation with your surgeon and truly discuss all of your concerns so that he/she may set your mind at ease. Best regards! Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Web reference: http://www.michaelelammd.com

Bump on Side of Nose 11 Days After Rhinoplasty...Contact Your Surgeon

+1

Hi K,

It is important for you to call your rhinoplasty surgeon for an immediate follow up appointment for evaluation.  Most likely there is not much to be done at this time, but your surgeon should know about, and examine this new development.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

11 days is too soon to determine the cause of your nasal bump after Rhinoplasty Surgery.

+1

I read your concerns and reviewed your photos:

You would be best served by raising your concerns with your surgeon. He knows what your nose looked like before your splint was placed, and he may be able to provide reassurance. I have seen firm areas in the nasal bridge of some of my own nose job patients that ended up completely disappearing by 3-4 months post-op.

A visit to your surgeon for his opinion would be the next best step for you.

Feel free to keep us posted as you continue to heal.

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Joseph 

Web reference: http://nosejobphotos.com/

West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bump on side of nose

+1

The bump you show in the photo may represent residual bone or cartilage , but also could represent swelling. Either way you have to wait several months to see things improve.

There is a Hard Bump on the Side of my Nose After my Septorhinoplasty?

+1

Photo shows a "hump" but you are correct in saying it is too early to determine cause. My guess is residual cartilage or bone that will need to be corrected after 6 months of healing. 

Swelling after septorhinoplasty

+1

Swelling after nasal surgery persists for several months (up to 18 months even!).  The appearance of the nose in the first few weeks after surgery will certainly change over the next few months.  Patience is necessary during this time.

Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon