Sex After Septoplasty and Sinus Surgery?

Hello, I've had an endoscopic sinus surgery and septoplasty some days ago. My doctor didn't gave me any specific guidance, and I've had sex with my wife from the 2nd day after surgery. I saw some websites which prohibited patients from strenuous activities as sex, so I was wondering if it is so harmful? And if yes why? or it will just cause bleeding from sinuses? I have headache now, and I'm really worried so any help is so appreciated! Thanks in advance for your attention!

Sex after Nasal or Sinus Surgery

+1

Hi! I usually tell my patients to wait 7-10 days before having sex after sinus surgery or septoplasty. Fluctuations in blood pressure can cause the raw areas in your sinuses to bleed and can increase your risk of something called a septal hematoma (collection of blood in your septum). Fortunately, this is rare. If your symptoms are worsening-- or if you develop any new symptoms-- it is always best to let your surgeon know. Good luck! 

Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sex after Septoplasty

+1

After surgery we do request a restriction in activities that may elevate your blood pressure, cause changes in body temperature etc.. so sex should probably be avoided for a week. The other issue that we encounter with sex after surgery is that sometimes things get bumped in the midst of the moment so be cautious! 

Michael Elam, MD