I'm an Opera Singer Who's Having a Septoplasty and Polyp Removal Surgery Next Week, How Will This Affect my Singing Voice?

According to my doctor about 75 percent of my left nostril is blocked due to a deviated septum and several nasal polyps. Will this affect my voice in a negative manner?

Affect of nasal surgery to singing voice

+1

The voice will have more resonance to it after the nasal obstruction polyps are removed.  The current quality of the voice is partially due to obstruction and polyps.  The deviated septum looks rather significant, which can make the voice sound more nasal and congested.  The surgery should only improve the quality of the voice.

Opera

+1

Most of a singer's beautiful "resonance" comes from the thoracic cavity, but a septoplasty with turbinate reductions and polypectomy should help you feel much better (eventually) and may lead to even sweeter music.  However, please don't forget to look after your larynx and vocal cords!

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Voice Change and nasal surgery

+1

If if you truly have obstructive issues then the surgery will be a positive. I operate on many voice professionals. Some perform at the metropolitan opera; so this is a big deal. 

Typically your resonance will open up and you may have an easier time with your upper register. There may be some training required in terms of palate control down the line. However it's usually worth it as long as there are obstructive issues. The only person in that situation that should NOT have surgery is someone who is known for a closed sound. 

Best of luck

Richard W. Westreich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon