9 days post op of open Rhinoplasty, will the swelling from the tip of my nose eventually go away?

I had an open rhinoplasty 9 days ago to fix a crooked nose and give it a little lift. The tip looks very swollen and it's hard and numb. I know it takes months for the swelling to go away but I just want some reassurance that it definitely will eventually go away. My doctor also said that it's still swollen and it takes time but I'm constantly stating in the mirror and not seeing the swelling go down. Maybe I'm being too critical on myself.

Expect to have nasal swelling 9 days after rhinoplasty

+2
Yes, it's very normal to have swelling of the nose and especially the tip at this early stage in the healing process. The tip is usually numb for up to 8-9 months after an open rhinoplasty as well.

Check out my web reference link below to read more about the rhinoplasty recovery and healing process.

Swollen nasal tip

+2
Swelling after rhinoplasty can take a very long time to subside, sometimes a year or even longer. You will just need to be patient! Prof. Neal Handel, MD.

Neal Handel, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Appearance of the nose 9 days following rhinoplasty does not reflect the final result

+2
Recovery after rhinoplasty will vary based on the person, characteristics of the nasal tissues and what was done during surgery. Immediately after the splint or cast is removed, it is common for the nose to look more defined. After the compression has been removed, the skin and soft tissues can swell and this can take weeks to months to significantly improve. Following rhinoplasty, the nose has a tendency to swell and this is greatest in the first 10-14 days. After rhinoplasty, tip shape is typically the last thing to settle before seeing the final result; this can take 12 months or longer. During this time you will notice that the size of your tip decreases as swelling resolves and subtle details and tip definition appear. Additionally, the tip may descend causing the tip to rotate downwards (depending on what was done during surgery). Around the 4-6 week mark, most patients are able to appreciate most of the changes from surgery as a significant amount of swelling has resolved. However, it can take somewhere in and around 12-18 months to see the final results. The areas with thicker skin in the nose such as the tip, alar rims and radix will require longer to settle.

Also there appears to be a linear decrease in swelling for the first several months followed by a period where the swelling fluctuates (sometimes little or no swelling and other times more swelling) before the nose settles. Again, after 4-6 weeks, although you will continue to notice changes in your nose, they are subtle and imperceptible to most other people. It's hard but important to stay patient during your recovery and to be diligent attending your follow-up appointments with your surgeon. Again, remember, the appearance of your nose 9 days following rhinoplasty does not reflect the final result - you are very early in your recovery.

Jamil Ahmad, MD

+2
It is difficult to give you an opinion without the standard photographs.It is too early to judge your result. Rhinoplasty is a year long process and it may take you that long to see the outcome.
I recommend working with your surgeon and adhering to your follow ups.

Maan Kattash, MD, FRCS

9 days post-op

+1
It is not abnormal to have swelling in the nasal tip 9 days after surgery. After rhinoplasty, you can expect the following with the nasal tip:

1) Hardness
2) Numbness, and a "wooden" feeling.
3) Swelling

It can take up to one year to see the final result of surgery. Waiting for the swelling can go down can be a long process. I would recommend giving it some time and see how you continue to heal. Your surgeon should be able to answer any questions in the meantime. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck with your recovery.

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1
9 days is extremely early to see any results from an open rhinoplasty!  Please follow the advice of your doctor, as he/she knows exactly what was done.  Swelling following rhinoplasty will go away very slowly...up to several months.  

9 days post op of open Rhinoplasty

+1
Dear Anna, thank you for your question. It may take several months for swelling to subside after rhinoplasty. Here in San Diego, we follow our patients for one year to follow their healing. Consider following up with your surgeon to monitor your progress and see if any intervention is necessary. Rarely a second opinion may be in order. Best of Luck.

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon