Is Juvederm Voluma an Alternative to Radiesse?

How does Juvederm Voluma stack up against Radiesse for larger-area volumizing, such as cheek hollows? Or is it so new that not many physicians have tried it yet?

Juvéderm Voluma® is an excellent alternative to Radiesse®, and can be reversed.

+3

Juvéderm Voluma® is an excellent alternative to Radiesse®, and [unlike Radiesse®] can be easily reversed by injection of hyaluronidase in the rare event of a problem.

Another advantage of Juvéderm Voluma® is that [at least in Canada] it comes with lidocaine anesthetic in it, improving patient comfort. Radiesse®, by contrast, hurts a lot unless the doctor adds lidocaine, and the process of mixing in lidocaine in the office carries the risks of contamination and/or error.

Finally, patients treated with Juvéderm Voluma® often look good compared with their baseline photos 12-18 months after treatment -- about the same duration of cosmetic benefit as Radiesse®.

Niagara Falls Dermatologic Surgeon

How does Juvederm Voluma stack up against Radiesse?

+2

Juvederm Voluma XC received FDA approval to be used in the USA October 23, 2013. Voluma is an injectable hyaluronic acid gel like other Juvederm products, Restylane, and Perlane. Voluma is the first and only filler that is FDA-approved to instantly add volume to the cheek area. The filler gives a subtle, natural lift, that helps restore a more youthful look and add volume to the cheek area. The good news is that Juvederm Voluma lasts 2 years! (this is double the time of regular Juvederm Ultra and Ultra Plus). 

In my mind, the main advantage of Radiesse was that it was longer lasting than the previously-available hyaluronic acid products.  Voluma now lasts just as long. In addition, Voluma has the added advantage that if you are unhappy with the results of your treatment, it can be dissolved, whereas Radiesse can not.

Web reference: http://www.facialplasticsnyc.com/voluma

Juvéderm Voluma is a wonderful new filler for volume

+2
Juvéderm Voluma became available in December 2013. It's approved for cheek volumizing and is the first hyaluronic acid filler with the FDA approval for that. I'm very impressed with the smooth look and feel of this filler, and the ability to see an instant lift and shaping to the cheeks. Physicians who were involved with the clinical trials for approval and physicians in other countries who have used this product longer are impressed with a duration of results that can be 2 years! 

Radiesse will still have a role to play, but Juvéderm Voluma is an important addition to our treatment options. A distinct advantage that Juvéderm Voluma has is the ability to remove it if desired. 
San Antonio Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm Voluma is a great alternative to Radiesse

+2

Personally I like both fillers.  There are advantages and disadvantages to each.  Voluma is an HA product which is good for first time patients since it is reversible.  However, Voluma is slightly more expensive and come with less volume in the syringe, so it ends up costing the patient more to achieve the same result.  However, in the FDA studies, Voluma was shown to last up to 2 years or longer.  Radiesse is not an HA and can't be reversed.  However, is comes with more volume per syringe is is slightly less expensive so the patient gets more for their money in the short-term.  Radiesse is also long lasting and typically lasts longer than other HA products except Voluma.  In terms of results, I have found Voluma to be slightly smoother since these fillers are used for deeper injections, I don't think this is clinically appreciable except during the injection process.  

Good Luck.    

Web reference: http://www.ShaferPlasticSurgery.com

Voluma cheek augmentation

+2

Voluma is a fantastic product for cheek augmentation.  It is the newest kid on the block. There are other traditional fillers that are also excellent candidates for cheek augmentation. These include Perlane, Juvederm and Radiesse.  . What is more important than the type of filler is the experience of the injector. I would definitely recommend going to a board-certified plastic surgeon as they are also qualified at doing procedures such as cheek augmentation using implants or fat grafting. They would be best able to help you understand the pros and cons and the longevity of each different approach.

The one distinction that Voluma has versus the other fillers, is that it is the only FDA approved product for cheek augmentation. However doctors commonly use products for off label reasons.  

+2
Juvederm Voluma is an alternative to Radiesse in that it is a deeper volumizing filler and can be reversed. It is an excellent volumizing filler.

Voluma is a new and excellent alternative to Radiesse

+2

Voluma (from Juvederm) is newly available in the US, expanding their treatment options.  It is not indicated for filling wrinkles, but rather used to restore the areas of the face that show volume loss.  

Facial aging often includes some degree of loss of fullness in the cheeks (sagging fat and thinning bones).  Traditional treatments include fat grafting and certain refinements of facelift techniques.  Injectable fillers including Radiesse and Sculptra are alternative ways to enhance cheek volume.  Now we have Voluma, the first hyaluronic acid volume filler.  It gives immediate results and is reversible if ever needed.

Greenville Plastic Surgeon

Yes Voluma is wonderful!

+2

Voluma is wonderful. I find Voluma to be smoother than Radiesse, and it lasts twice as long. Yes, not many MD’s have used it yet, but since my practice participated in the clinical trials as a study site, I have been using it for close to 3 years now, monitoring its very successful results.

Raleigh-Durham Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm Voluma vs Radiesse

+1
Juvederm Voluma XC is a newly FDA approved soft-tissue filler for mid-face volume. It lasts 2years and has an added benefit that it can me quickly "removed" if the results are not desirable. It is this last benefit that makes it stand out from its competitor, Radiesse. Furthermore, Radiesse doesn't last as long. Both are good choices for use on the mid-face, in my opinion, so ultimately it comes
down to patient choice. 

Web reference: Http://www.samraplasticsurgery.com

New Jersey Plastic Surgeon

JUVEDERM VOLUMA VS RADIESSE

+1
 Voluma has been released to a select few physicians who possess extensive experience with advanced techniques with dermal fillers.  The product is used for enhancement of the midface/cheek region.  It's effects last up to 2 years, which is a dramatic improvement over most conventional dermal filler products. In addition, unlike Radiesse, there is very little attenuation of the product after a month or two, so overcorrection is rarely necessary.  Finally, Voluma is an HA product which can be fully reversed with Vitrase or Hyaluronidase in the rare event of dissatisfaction with the result.

Make sure you select a physician with extensive experience and a proven track record.

Good luck!

Web reference: http://www.drwise.com/fillers-and-injectables/

Wayne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.