Reaction to Voluma: What Can I Do about Side Effects?

Hi Had Juvederm Voluma put in my cheeks (2ml) . I started having palpitations, extreme muscle fatigue, shortness of breath and horrible headache. I went too 2 hospital emergencies they couldnt help me out! I contacted the doctor he said its never happened before( offcourse he would say that, it would affect his business!) I went to see my doctor, he's put me on Prednisolone 5 tablets a day for 3 days and Cetirizine Hydrochloride for 2 weeks!... I wanted to know that since its suppose ot last for 18 months max, could I continue to have the allergic reactions? or what shall I do to avoid having any? should I get it dissolved? I have no sign of it being injected though one cheeks more plump then other, is it possible ot get lumps while it lasts in my cheeks?

Juvederm Voluma

+1

Your symptoms may have nothing to do with your injections, or may be related to the lidocaine anesthetic in Juvederm Voluma.  Ask your injector if the Voluma contained lidocaine and if so, you should be tested for lidocaine allergy with an allergist. If you have a lidocaine allergy, you would need to tell your dentist and dermatologist in case they need to use a local anesthetic for you.  

Voluma is also available without lidocaine.  You could have a small patch test to Juvederm to reassure yourself that you are not allergic to it, which is very rare.  If negative, you could still continue to enjoy the benefits of Juvederm fillers without lidocaine.

Toronto Dermatologist

Juvederm Voluma Reaction- What Can I Do?

+1

IMHO you should contact the MD that did your Juvederm Voluma injections ASAP for a referral to an allergist for evaluation and possible treatment.  

Web reference: http://www.thepalmercodeinstitute.com

Voluma can be dissolved

+1

I agree with Dr. Smith. All of the symptoms you are describing could result from other infections and not necessarily HA. I have seen HA reactions less than 5x in my career, but with any of those patients they also had other skin problems and reactions. If you're not having any skin reactions or problems, I would suggest that it might not be an HA allergy. Also, if you've had HA fillers before (like Restylane, Juvederm, etc.) and not had a reaction, the likelihood of you being allergic to Voluma is extremely small. All of that being said, just like any HA filler, Voluma can be dissolved with hyaluronidase easily.

Your symptoms do not sound like a reaction to Voluma®

+1

"palpitations, extreme muscle fatigue, shortness of breath and horrible headache" sounds a lot more like a viral illness or a systemic disease than a reaction to an HA filler like Voluma®.

If I were you I would want my doctor to consider and rule out those things, which are far more likely [vastly more liikely] that something related to the Voluma®.

Niagara Falls Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm Voluma Reaction

+1

Honestly, I have no experience with Juvederm Voluma because it is not approved for use in the United States. However I have never seen or heard of any similar reaction to Juvederm or other HA fillers. Hopefully your symptoms have improved by the time you get our response.