What is the Difference Between Sciton Laser and E-Matrix? Which is Better?

I'm looking to improve the texture of my skin. I want to reduce pore size, get rid of a few ice pick acne scars on my nose, remove sun spots and minor wrinkles, and tighten skin. I'm 32 and my skin looks fine, but I'm trying to get a jump on keeping my skin youthful. Also, I have a scar underneath my nose from a lip lift that I would like to improve. Which would be a better fit for me, the Sciton laser or the E-Matrix?

Sciton & Matrix RF Skin Resurfacing

+1

Both of these technologies are used for skin resurfacing to address concerns like wrinkles, pigmentation issues, acne scars, and uneven skin tone. The Matrix RF™ system uses pulses of fractionated radiofrequency energy to induce the body’s natural wound healing response. Sciton® uses laser energy, available in various lasers such as Erbium, Fraxel, and BroadBand Light™, to encourage collagen production for exfoliating the skin. One unique feature of Sciton® is that this system can be customized to each patient’s needs because its laser strength is measured in microns (one millionth of a meter) to treat different layers of skin. For example, a patient with deeper wrinkles or more severe scars can choose a treatment with a stronger peel with a higher micron count or multiple, shorter treatments with less microns. Both are efficient and safe for many skin conditions for patients of a wide range of ages, but an in-person consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon or certified laser technician is necessary to determine which option would help you achieve your aesthetic goals.

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial resurfacing with lasers

+1

pore size may or may not respond to any laser treatment. ice pick scars often, if deep, respond best to punch grafts before resurfacing but shallow ones may respond satisfactorily to laser. Ematrix uses fractional bipolar radiofrequency energy and Sciton uses an erbium wavelength of laser energy. I don't have experience with these devices as I use the Fraxel fractional erbium, and Fractional carbon dioxide lasers (Fraxel Restore and FRaxel REpair). I am not aware of a side-by-side comparison to the two devices you have mentioned to know which works better in general. REmember, regardless of any resurfacing device, some of the wrinkles or acne scars will remain. It can't be a 100%.

Ronald Shelton, MD