What Are the Possible After Effects of Rib Cartilage Rhinoplasty Besides Wrapping in Years to Come?

I've been doing some research for rhinoplasty. And most doctors seem to say rib cartilage would be better off then using gore-Tex. So far it seems like the only bad effect so far by using rib cartilage is possible wrapping when done by an unskilled doctor. Does that mean it would last forever? Is there anything else I've missed? I would appreciated any feedback. Thank you :)

Possible Side Effects For Rib Cartilage Rhinoplasty

+2

Dear Cheramee,

Performed by extensively experienced surgeon, the rib cartilage graft Rhinoplasty will result in exceptional results when shaped correctly.

Aside the mild risk of pneumothorax (punctured lung) in an autologous graft, the cartilage can move from and cause asymmetries or it can fail to fuse an become moveable under the skin of the nose.

I encourage you to seek consultations with board certified surgeons of ample experience in the field.

Thank you for your question and the best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Long Term Problems Using Rib Cartilage Grafts

+2

Other than warping there are few long term problems using rib cartilage in rhinoplasty surgery. I feel it is better to use the patient's own tissue rather than synthetics. Survival is typically excellent. The main problems associated with rib grafts are the discomfort following their harvest, possible unfavorable donor scars, and the minimal risk of a pneumothorax when the grafts are taken.