Is It Safe to Return to the Gym Two Weeks After Tip Rhinoplasty?

Workout Clearance After Rhinoplasty

+3

Hello Petra,

Depending on the surgery that a surgeon can clear a patient for working out after a certain time post-surgery.

Aside risking to cause a possible trauma to your nose if weights are being lifted or if overhead exercises are being performed, 2 weeks post-surgery with the swelling remaining and the healing progress going on may not be enough of recovery time before you engage into strenuous exercise.

Nonetheless, I encourage you to consult with your physician as he/she knows best of the details of your surgery and can assess your progress after a physical examination.

Dr. Sajjadian

Is is safe to work out?

+2

In general you can return tot he gym as long as you do not bump your nose because it takes a minimum of 6 weeks to heal from a rhinoplasty.

Scott Loessin, MD

Exercise after Rhinoplasty

+2

As an exercise enthusiast, I definitely appreciate the frustration in having to take a break from the gym. In general, I have my patients slowly return to exercise after two weeks, but it is extremely important to start gently, use your best judgement and stop if anything feels uncomfortable, and to talk with your surgeon beforehand. There are certain cases where I want patients to wait a little longer before resuming exercise.

Gregory J. Vipond, MD, FRCSC
Inland Empire Facial Plastic Surgeon

Return to the Gym Two Weeks After Tip Rhinoplasty

+2

You can begin ramping up activities 2 weeks after rhinoplasty surgery. However, your surgeon should guide you on the level of activity appropriate for you.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Exercise after Rhinoplasty

+2

I let my patients gradually increase their exercise routine starting with unlimited walking 2 weeks after surgery then low resistance maximum repetition from three weeks on slowly increasing weight a few pounds  at a time and head elevated until 6 weeks. After 6 weeks there is no restrictions for non contact activity

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Exercise after tip platy

+2

Thank you for the question. In general you need about three to four week weeks before you can start light exercise such as cardio on a treadmill and 6 week before any contact sports. But, still contact your plastic surgeon.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

When can one return to gym after rhinoplasty

+2

I guess it would depend on what you are going to do at the gym. Some cardio workout should be fine, but I would avoid weight lifting for another 4 weeks - more chances to accidentaly hit the nose and cause some injury. Your bones should be fairly set 6-8 weeks after the surgery.

Alexander Ovchinsky, MD

Gym

+2
In our practice we tell our patients to wait at least 4/6 weeks. Your bones and tissue are not completely healed.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Activity after rhinoplasty

+2

I usually have patients hold off on any aerobic activity  for at least 3-4 weeks and exertional activity for 6-8 weeks. Remember your nose will swell with activity.

Returning to Gym After Rhinoplasty

+2

It is always best to check with your surgeon for the answer to this question.  I tell my patients it is generally OK to go back to the gym after 2 weeks, but avoid any workouts and activities that would put you at risk for getting hit in the nose for several weeks longer.  I also tell them that their body will tell them if they are doing too much, too soon, and to back off if they feel throbbing or discomfort with elevation of heart rate.

James Bartels, MD
Manchester Facial Plastic Surgeon