Why Didn't my Doctor Tape Up my Tip After Cast Was Removed?

I'm afraid that my tip will droop because it was not taped, is this true?

Rhinoplasty taping

+1

Dear Petra,

Taping the nose after Rhinoplasty will not help or avoid drooping of the tip. Some surgeons tape post surgery to temporarily help with swelling. I personally do not tape my noses after splint removal. I have a very large Rhinoplasty practice and thirty years of experience and I know for a fact that tape or lack of will not decrease any chance of your nose drooping. I understand this is a confusing concept and it is discussed frequently on Real Self. However the shape and final result of the nose are based on the precision of the surgical procedure and not tape.  Best regards!

+1

No, this is an urban myth.  Tape applied after the cast comes off can decrease the tip swelling temporally and help with tip support when internal sutures were used to thin the nasal tip cartilages for the first week or so.  Prolonged taping of the nasal tip is a useless endeavor and learning manual lymphatic drainage is far more effective in accelerating nasal healing.  

Taping nose after splint removal

+1

I do not routinely tape the nose after removing the nasal splint.  Taping may help with swelling temporarily, it won't keep the tip up.

Taping Up Nose Tip After Cast Is Removed

+1

Dear Petra,

Taping up the tip of the nose after cast removal is mainly to control the swelling.

The drooping of the nose tip is mainly caused by problems with the underlying cartilage if it were to happen and not due to the absence of a tape to hold your nose tip up for a given time.

Best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Taping the Tip After Your Rhinoplasty Cast Is Removed Is Not Necessary

+1

Your doctor was not negligent by not taping the tip of your nose upwards after your rhinoplasty. The key to a great, long lasting rhinoplasty is to fix the underlying tip cartilage so that it will stay where you put it during the surgery. If you need tape to prevent the tip from drooping after surgery, then the ultimate results from your rhinoplasty are not going to be good.Some surgeons like to tape the nose after surgery to help with swelling, but the ultimate position of the tip has already been determined by what was done to the tip cartilage during your surgery. Don't worry about not being taped- you won't droop because of it.

Michael R. Menachof, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose

+1

In our practice we don’t tape your nose after the cast is removed, every practice is different. We believe you will be ok without it. If you have further question make sure you address your concerns with your doctor.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Taping the tip after cast removal

+1

Hi,

Many surgeons do not tape up the the tip after the cast is removed. It depends on the surgeon's personal technique. It does not mean that your tip will droop as a result. Everything that will give your nose structure was performed at the time of surgery, so don't worry about whether this will affect your long term results. If you are still concerned, I recommend speaking to your surgeon and asking him/her about his/her reasons for not taping the tip. I hope this helps!

Dr.Sunder

Sarmela Sunder, MD

Tape the tip after plaster cast removal

+1

If your surgeon was happy with the result taping the nasal tip is not essential. However if its tapped for another one week the swelling that appears soon after nasal splint removal may remain under control .The tip does not drop without reasons. It drops because of supra tip projection was not addressed or intra nasal scar contracture.

Ashok Govila, FRCS, MCh, MS
Dubai Plastic Surgeon