What Are the Advantages/disadvantages to a Dual Plane Technique Vs. Completely Under the Muscle for Breast Augmentation?

+2

Almost all women need the dual plane approach because the pec sits up a bit too high in most women. It needs to be released to allow the implant to drop down just a bit. If not, the implants sit just a bit high and the nipple too low. You can see many examples of this on this site. The only time I consistently leave full muscle coverage of the implant is when I am doing a lift as well. Then I can bring the breast tissue up to the implant!

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Dual plane vs Complete Submuscular placement

+1
Dual plane refers primarily to the placement of the breast implant during surgery. The term, coined by a Texan plastic surgeon back in the late 90s, is defined as a breast augmentation procedure that involves placement of the breast implant behind the pectoralis major muscle and partially behind the breast tissue overlying the muscle. The implant sits on two levels inside the chest, which is why it's called "dual plane". Alteration of some of the pectoralis major muscle is also performed to achieve optimal improvement of the breast as well as allowing for a subtle lift for patients with minor drooping (ptosis). This type of implant placement can be performed with any incision (inframammary, transaxillary, or peri-areolar).

Dual plane breast augmentation was designed so that the benefits of both subglandular and submuscular placement could be obtained for the patient. The top 2/3 of the breast implant is placed below the pectoral muscle. The muscle provides more coverage so that the implant is less visible and less palpable, lowering the chance of rippling and a visible upper border (the breasts won't look like they're bolted on as much). It gives the breast that nice natural slope.

The bottom 1/3 of the implant is placed under the breast itself in the subglandular position. This allows the breast tissue to drape around the implant, contouring itself to the roundness and thereby adopting a pleasing fullness that better emulates a natural breast shape.

There are several varieties of dual-plane augmentations that subtly differ one from the next (there are types 1-3). You will receive the most suitable one depending on your goals and the expertise of your surgeon.

Surgeons generally perform complete submuscular coverage only for breast reconstruction purposes.  

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Dual Plane breast implants

+1
An implant placed above the muscle is referred to as ‘sub-mammary’ (or ‘sub-glandular’), while an implant placed under the muscle is referred to as ‘sub-pectoral’ (or ‘sub-muscular’).The muscle in question is the pectoralis major.The term ‘sub-pectoral’ or ‘sub-muscular’ is somewhat misleading, as implants placed under the pec major are only partially covered by the muscle.The pec major covers the upper/medial half of the breast area, so a ‘sub-pectoral’ implant is truly subpectoral only in the upper and medial aspect of the augmented breast, while the lower and lateral aspect of the implant is actually in a sub-mammary position.Because sub-pectoral implants are, in reality, both sub-pectoral (upper/medial breast) and sub-mammary (lower/lateral breast), this placement has more recently been referred to as a ‘dual plane’ approach to breast augmentation.

There is also ‘total submuscular’ implant placement, in which the implant is positioned behind the pec major and the serratus anterior muscle, so that the entire implant surface is covered by muscle tissue.This is not commonly done for cosmetic breast augmentations, but has been used for breast reconstruction using breast implants.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Dual plane and submuscular

+1

Your skin quality is the main determinant of location and so the best person to answer this question is your plastic surgeon. In my practice a majority of women get submuscular or dual plane implants and especially in those women who have lost weight. The skin has lost volume and elasticity and as such cannot bear the weight of the implant. In dual plane t implantis partly under te muscle a partly subglandular in the lower pole.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Dual plane is the procedure of choice.

+1

Dual plan positioning of a breast implant allows for a natural appearance for an augmentation by allowing the implant to sit in the appropriate position on the chest wall. The pectoralis muscle is used for improved camouflage of an implant in a small breasted woman, to decrease capsular contracture rate, and to improve vascularity of the breast and nipple in cases of augmentation mastopexy. Unfortunately, the pectoralis major muscle does not always line up anatomically with the overlying breast and the resultant inframammary fold. By dividing the inferior attachments of the muscle and placing the implant where the breast is (rather than where the pectoralis is) the augmentation has a much more natural look.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Dual Plane the procedure of choice...

+1

as mentioned by my colleagues.  This technique allows for significant inferior releases of muscle and breast tissue so subglandular approaches are becoming less and less desired.  The advantages of having partial muscle coverage are well known and with the amount of release, my patients have very little muscle movement when the chest muscle is contracted.  I doubt anyone really does a total submuscular position anymore. 

Curtis Wong, MD

Dual Plane Breast Augmentation

+1

Total submuscular augmentation is essentially obsolete at this point.  The vast majority of plastic surgeons use the dual plane technique for a much nicer result.

Michael Orseck, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon

True Total Submuscluar Placement Rare

+1

Today, the terms "Dual Plane" and "submuscular" are essentially interchangeable in breast augmentation surgery. The bottom of the pectoralis muscle sits above the bottom of the breast. Unless this is released, a breast implant will sit too high and the nipple will typically point downwards. Don't allow these terms to confuse you.

Lawrence Iteld, MD

Total Submuscular Cover v. Dual Plane for Breast Implants

+1

Submuscular augmentation was introduced in the 80's as a method to decrease capsular contracture.  Originally it was thought that complete muscle cover was best.  The muscles used included the pectoralis and the serratus anterior.  Over time it was recognized that this technique pushed the implant too far laterally.  It is not used today.  The dual plane technique is now synonymous with a submuscular breast augmentation.  In this method the implant is under the pectoral muscle until the lower portion of the beast.  The second "plane" of the implant is beneath the breast gland.  The pectoral muscle is released from its attachment to the ribs.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Dual Plane vs Total Muscular Coverage for Breast Implants

+1

There is lots of confusion about Dual Plane vs Total Muscular coverage, there are benefits to placement of an implant below just the breast and there are benefits of placing the implant below the muscle. I believe that the Dual Plane technique combines the best of both worlds, half under the muscle and half under just the gland. No surgeon places a cosmetic implant completely below the muscle, the implant is not under the muscle laterally and somewhat inferiorly, only Breast Reconstruction implants are sometimes placed completely submuscular. A true Dual Plane technique devides the chest muscle from it's connections to the abdominal muscles allowing the breast to round at the inferior aspect, which most people find very cosmetically appealing, it also can allow for the niple/areola to raise upi just a bit often improving a breast that has a slight amount of sagginess. I utilize a dual plane on the majority of my patients, but there are certainly patients that are not good candidates for this technique. I would advise you to consult with an experienced Board Certified Surgeon to dicuss these techniques and ask your doctor which is the best for you.

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon