When Can I Return to my Active Job After Having Breast Augmentation?

I don't have the usual desk job. I'm a bartender at a busy bar/restaurant, and my normal shift is anywhere from 10-15 hours long, all of which are spent on my feet. I'm a healthy, non-smoking 28-year old, about 5'2 and 115 lbs, 32B, looking to get implants. I understand not being able to lift anything heavy for a while, but will I have to spend an extended period of time out of work (longer than 1-2 weeks)?

Return to Active Job after Breast Augmentation Usually 10-14 days

+4

I agree with others that you need to follow the advice of your surgeon.

However, that said, I recommend to my patients that they plan two weeks before vigorous physical activity after Breast Augmentation.

Return to work is more difficult after Submuscular Breast Augmentation than after Subglandular Breast Augmentation.

Your job sound very vigorous. My guess is you will need at least a week and perhaps two if the implants are placed under the muscle

You can return to work early

+3

Most of my patients return to even very active jobs by a week after breast augmentation. You may be a little sore but you will not hurt anything.

John Squires, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Going Back to Work in 1 to 2 Weeks after Breast Augmentation

+2

Unless you are running all over the place at your job getting your heart rate up or straining yourself, going back to work in 1 to 2 weeks should be fine.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Time off Work for Bartender

+1
Each surgeon has his or her own guidelines for recovery. Typically, patients can return to light activity after 5 to 7 days. More strenuous activity may take 3 to 6 weeks. Consult with your board certified surgeon as he or she will understand the scope of the surgery and the specifics of you.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Return to work after a breast augmentation

+1

The only activities I would restrict a patient to after a breast augmentation would be not to lift greater than 20 pounds and avoid activities where the breasts bounce up and down for 6 weeks. Atlanta Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Z

Return to Active Physical Activity After Breast Augmentation

+1

If your implants are placed under the muscle I usually advise my patients to wait at least 4 weeks before resuming any active physical activity. 

Mark A. Schusterman, MD

Breast Augmentation - Return to work guidelines

+1

I don't recommended working at the job you're describing before 10 days if you required to do heavy lifting.  If you don't have to lift, but still work hard, then take off at least a week.    Best wishes!

Stefan Mark Szczerba, MD

Returning to work after breast augmentation

+1

Every patient heals a bit differently after surgery, but I would expect that you will want to take about 2 weeks off of work based on your job description. If you had a true desk job, you could be back at work in as little as 3 days. I have had several bartenders/restaurant workers have the surgery and they tend to return to work in about 1 week. They almost always tell me that they end up having someone help them with some of the lifting and more heavy work during that first week back. 

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after Breast Augmentation

+1

I generally advise no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 4 weeks.  You need to give time for all your incisions to heal.  Please touch base with your plastic surgeon to get his/her specific recommendations.   Best of luck!
Dr. Basu

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

+1

It can vary depending on the technique and whether you are going in front or behind the muscle.  Best to ask your operating surgeon. 

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon