Breast Implants with Pacemaker?

I was talking to a coworker about my recent BA, and she said she was very interested in having BA as well. As we talked about placement (I did submuscular), she mentioned that she had a pacemaker that was placed submuscularly and wondered if it was even possible to get implants with a pacer in place. I couldn't find any specific info right offhand to show her; does anyone have any input on this? Thanks!

Breast Augmenation with Pacemaker

+1

It is possible to perform a breast augmenation on a woman with a pacemaker. There are several things that should be considered, most importantly, if the patient's cardiac issue will allow her to undergo elective surgery. It would be important to collaborate with her cardiologist throughout the process. Otherwise, with proper planning, she should do well.

Breast implants, possible with a pacemaker.

+1

It is certainly possible perform breast augmentation with a pacemaker in place and I have done so many times. The pacemaker is not physically in the way of that surgery however one needs to be careful with cautery as it can interfere with the pacemaker. I would recommend using bipolar electro cautery.

John Squires, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Pacemaker and implants?

+1

It is possible, but you would need to get clearance from your cardiologist before undergoing the procedure.

Breast augmentation, breast implants, pacemaker

+1

It is certainly possible to get breast implants with a pacemaker in place. Pacemakers are typically placed high on the chest wall which would not interfere with the placement of an implant.  Obviously, your surgeon and cardiologist would need to work closely together in the perioperative period as there are special surgical precautions to take when a patient has a pacemaker.

Diane L. Gibby, MD

Breast Implants with Pacemaker

+1

This may be possible, but you would have to be examined for the exact placement of the pacemaker.  In addition, the pacemaker will have to be managed if electrocautery is used during the surgery.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Breast Implants with Pacemaker?

+1

It is usually possible in an otherwise healthy patient to have breast implants even in the presence of a pacemaker. 

The decision would need to be made by patient and surgeon. Usually the pacemakers are quite high on the chest, higher than would be an implant. If there might be an issue of positioning, the implants might be placed in the submammary or subfascial plane if appropriate. 

The surgeon should be prepared to be able to help with pacemaker generator changes in the future if so asked by the cardiologist. Thanks for your question, all the best.