Tear Drop Vs Round Breast Implants for Petite Build?

Hi! I'm a 19 year old girl who is petite build, short about 150cm (4'9"), breast size about an A cup and is going to get Breast implants but I'm not sure which style to go for. I was told the tear drop as it is more natural and due to my petite built. I just wanted to know if I were to get round implants would it look that bad?

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

The best implant for you?

+2

Without photos or a physical examination Its difficult to guide you. Each style of implant has pros and cons. Round implants are the mainstay of most cosmetic breast augmentation. Choosing the correct proportion and size is necessary to give a good result. Teardrops can sometimes rotate and be more feelable because they are textured. The new 410 gummy bear that was approved this week by the FDA is firmer and heavily textured. It can require a larger incision.

In my own practice I favor the smooth round cohesive implants, But I always go over the  options with my patients. In your meeting with a board certified plastic surgeon her or she can evaluate you and help to select your best option.

Web reference: http://www.atcosmetics.com/html/BreastAugmentation.php

Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Usually round implants are best fro breast augmentation

+4

For most patients, a round breast implant of proper dimension and profile to fit their chest and desires works better than a teardrop shaped implant. The problem with the shaped implants is that they all have to be textured to prevent rotation in the pocket and this makes them wrinkle more because the skin is stuck to them. Also, if they don't adhere in the pocket, they can move around, turn upside down etc and look very asymmetric to the other side.

Web reference: http://www.randcosmeticsurgery.com

Round implants preferable for breast augmentation

+3

I only use round implants for breast augmentation. By selecting the correct volume and profile, they can give a very natural look. I always like to hold a round implant at the top to demonstrate that the saline or silicone inside sinks to the bottom with gravity.  This helps create more fullness at the bottom - like a natural breast. Unlike your natural breast tissue, breast implants move around in the pocket we create.  Tear drop breast implant manufacturers try to reduce this by "roughing up" or contouring the outside of the implant.  This texture encourages your skin and muscles to adhere to the implant and help hold it in place.  Either way, it creates problems.  If you skin doesn't adhere to a tear drop shaped implant, the implant can rotate giving you an oddly shaped and asymmetric breast.  This can be visible even through clothing.  If your tissue does stick to the implant, this can lead to rippling and make the implant very visible under your skin.  In my opinion, tear drop shaped implants are best reserved for breast reconstruction.

Web reference: http://www.buttandbreastaugmentation.com/

Breast Implants for a petite build

+2
At 19, you are not a candidate for silicone gel breast implants.  For many petite women form stable, highly cohesive breast implants are an ideal choice.

Web reference: http://www.michaellawmd.com/breast-augmentation_breast_implants.html

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Tear drop or anatomic implants are used most often in patients with A-cup breast size.

+2

The reason for recommending this type is get the most natural result.  The upper slope of the breast will take be more natural. However not patient wants a natural look.  Some patients prefer the fuller look in the upper part of the breast.  The disadvantage of the tear drop implant is that is has a small chance of rotation and therefore asymmetery.

Web reference: http://www.myplasticsurgeon.ca/breast_augmentation.asp

+2

It really depends on the result you are trying to achieve, If you want upper fullness, choose the round. If you want a slightly more natural result use the anatomic..

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/breast-surgery-chicago/breast-enlargement/

Teardrop Implants Are Rarely Used

+2

I agree with all the other doctors 100%. 

Teardrop shaped implants were touted to offer a more natural shape, and that claim was quickly proven wrong once the operation was used in large numbers of patients. 

Problems with rotation of the implant and rippling or wrinkling make these implants unsuitable for most individuals.

Tear Drop vs. Round Breast Implants

+2

You do not need tear drop implants. These are only really necessary in breast reconstruction. With any amount of breast tissue a round implant will do just fine. Besides if the contoured implant rotates it's a disaster. These implants are way over used in augmentation, especially over seas.

For as small as you are I would think about a high profile implant. These tend to work well for smaller women.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Shaped breast implants

+2

I only use smooth, round, silicone or saline implants and the results that I get are very natural looking. My only concern with tear-drop shaped implants is that they might turn and distort the shape of your breast. Look at some before and after photos of the different implants, and see which ones you like the most. Good luck!

Web reference: http://www.DrSchreiberPlasticSurgery.com

Round vs. teardrop/shaped

+2

Implant shape requirements are dependent on what you have to start with and what you are goingto be happy with in the end. Most augmentations can be satisfied with round implants since they appear tear-dropped up to a certain size. If you have a fair amount of natural breast tissue covering the implant, then the round implant will be hidden by the natural shape of the breast. At some point, the round implants will start to look round. The less the tissue coverage the sooner that will occur.If you are not looking for a rounded look, thenyou should consider shaped implants. The advantage with round is that they are not directional: they look the same no matter if they rotate. The shaped implants are directionaland need to be placed and maintained in a specific place. If they rotate, then the shape of the breast will be affected.