Tear Drop Vs Round Breast Implants for Petite Build?

Hi! I'm a 19 year old girl who is petite build, short about 150cm (4'9"), breast size about an A cup and is going to get Breast implants but I'm not sure which style to go for. I was told the tear drop as it is more natural and due to my petite built. I just wanted to know if I were to get round implants would it look that bad?

Round implants preferable for breast augmentation

+4

I only use round implants for breast augmentation. By selecting the correct volume and profile, they can give a very natural look. I always like to hold a round implant at the top to demonstrate that the saline or silicone inside sinks to the bottom with gravity.  This helps create more fullness at the bottom - like a natural breast. Unlike your natural breast tissue, breast implants move around in the pocket we create.  Tear drop breast implant manufacturers try to reduce this by "roughing up" or contouring the outside of the implant.  This texture encourages your skin and muscles to adhere to the implant and help hold it in place.  Either way, it creates problems.  If you skin doesn't adhere to a tear drop shaped implant, the implant can rotate giving you an oddly shaped and asymmetric breast.  This can be visible even through clothing.  If your tissue does stick to the implant, this can lead to rippling and make the implant very visible under your skin.  In my opinion, tear drop shaped implants are best reserved for breast reconstruction.

Usually round implants are best fro breast augmentation

+3

For most patients, a round breast implant of proper dimension and profile to fit their chest and desires works better than a teardrop shaped implant. The problem with the shaped implants is that they all have to be textured to prevent rotation in the pocket and this makes them wrinkle more because the skin is stuck to them. Also, if they don't adhere in the pocket, they can move around, turn upside down etc and look very asymmetric to the other side.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Breast Implants for a petite build

+2
For many petite women form stable, highly cohesive breast implants are an ideal choice. My breast augmentation before and after gallery includes many of these images (link below) At 19, you are not a candidate for silicone gel breast implants.
For a natural looking result, the size, style, and shape of the breast implant are very important. Also, appropriate placement and position  of the breast implant are necessary for an ideal result. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Teardrop Implants Are Rarely Used

+2

I agree with all the other doctors 100%. 

Teardrop shaped implants were touted to offer a more natural shape, and that claim was quickly proven wrong once the operation was used in large numbers of patients. 

Problems with rotation of the implant and rippling or wrinkling make these implants unsuitable for most individuals.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

Tear Drop vs. Round Breast Implants

+2

You do not need tear drop implants. These are only really necessary in breast reconstruction. With any amount of breast tissue a round implant will do just fine. Besides if the contoured implant rotates it's a disaster. These implants are way over used in augmentation, especially over seas.

For as small as you are I would think about a high profile implant. These tend to work well for smaller women.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Shaped breast implants

+2

I only use smooth, round, silicone or saline implants and the results that I get are very natural looking. My only concern with tear-drop shaped implants is that they might turn and distort the shape of your breast. Look at some before and after photos of the different implants, and see which ones you like the most. Good luck!

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD

Round vs. teardrop/shaped

+2

Implant shape requirements are dependent on what you have to start with and what you are goingto be happy with in the end. Most augmentations can be satisfied with round implants since they appear tear-dropped up to a certain size. If you have a fair amount of natural breast tissue covering the implant, then the round implant will be hidden by the natural shape of the breast. At some point, the round implants will start to look round. The less the tissue coverage the sooner that will occur.If you are not looking for a rounded look, thenyou should consider shaped implants. The advantage with round is that they are not directional: they look the same no matter if they rotate. The shaped implants are directionaland need to be placed and maintained in a specific place. If they rotate, then the shape of the breast will be affected.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Breast implant shape

+2

Round breast implants, when placed under the pectoral muscle, can look quite natural regardless of your body type. Anatomic, or teardrop shaped implants, can look quite natural also. However, these implants are typically placed in front of the pectoral muscle (subglandular). These are appropriate in certain patients who need slightly more projection in the lower aspect of the breast, or who have a thinner body.

The one concern with the anatomic implants is they have a tendency to rotate, where the heavier "bottom" portion of the implant could move and end up on "top" where it doesn't belong. Often times the patient can shift it back into place, however this may be a problem which needs surgical correction in the future.

Discuss this further with a board certified plastic surgeon prior to your surgery.

William Bruno, MD

Teardrop vs round breast implants

+2

Dear Anon

As a plastic surgeon in the USA without the ability to use teardrop shaped or anatomical silicone gel implants, I can't give you an opinion on this one. I can tell you that I don't recommend saline anatomical due to the rippling and wrinkling in a thin patient. I also believe it is the experience and expertise of the surgeon that helps to determine the result and I only use round implants at this time.

I do think that as the anatomical silicone become available in the USA they will be used more often in selected cases.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon