Titanium-coated Breast Implants Better?

I just found a website about titanium-coated breast implants. It says they might prevent post-surgery deformities and capsular contracture. Is this something that plastic surgeons can use in US? Do you think they are gonna be better?

Breast capsule (capsular) contracture & titanium implants after augmentation or enlargement

+2

There are several different theories for why capsular contractures form. Obviously if you know the cause then you can prevent it. However, with many different suspected causes, the solution is very difficult to determine.

For example the most popular explanation for the etiology of capsular contracture is the biofilm that forms on the exterior surface of implants. Many scientists believe that the biofilm contains bacteria that may trigger a response that may ultimately result in capsular contracture. These scientists believe that if you prevent a biofilm, you can prevent capsular contracture and that applies to all implants not just breast implants. I have always theorized that if you coated implants with microscopic silver (a natural antibiotic that is used in Microban (R)., it may be possible to limit a biofilm but that is only my theory. I am not aware of titanium possesing microcidal properties. I am also not aware of the implants to which you refer.

However, there are alternative theories for contracture formation. So, even if you eliminate the biofilm, it does not necessarily mean that you can eliminate the formation of a contracture.

Titianium implants

+2

Titanium around implants is definitely not availablae in the United States. The implant companies in the United States do not approve its use. I do not know of any experimental protocols in the US with this product.

Prevening problems with breast implants

+2

Violetta,

There is certainly no indication at the current time to place titanium around a breast implant and this is definitiely not permitted in the U.S. Capsular contracture is not a problem with the implant itself changing shape or feel. Breast implants, which are silicone shells filled either with salt water or silicone gel cannot change themselves, it is the scar tissue that naturally forms around the implants that can change. Shrinking or tightening of this scar tissue can lead to what is known as capsular contracture. This problem, when it does occur, typically happens in the first year. There are many theories about what the causes are, but it is still not completely known. Most seem to agree that some form of bacterial contamination, not necessarily an infection, can lead to this problem of capsular contraction. In my practice, I follow the guidelines set forth in a recent study that demonstrated that meticulous hemostasis (making sure there is no bleeding in the surgical pocket during surgery) and washing the surgical area with several antibiotics can reduce the incidence of capsular contracture to approximately 1-2%. This has been very successful in my practice and is the best current way to prevent this problem.

Dr. Sean Simon

Sean A. Simon, MD

WIll titanium-coated breast implants be better?

+2

I looked at the reports of Dr. Saylan, and although the use of titanium mesh is new, other meshes have been tried. As a matter of fact, tons of things have been tried to try and prevent capsular contracture.

At present, two techniques are being used to diminish the problem of capsular contractures. Neither of the two alternatives is perfect.

The older one is textured implant surface. The textured surface acts as a velcro to adhere the surrounding tissue, but it also creates a much larger surface area capsule. The capsule can contract a lot before it gets tight. Still, it only diminishes the chance of contracture. The downside is textured implants are more prone to visible wrinkling of the skin.

The newer alternative is the "Gummy bear" implant. It is stiffer than the regular implant, and it has the consistency of gummy bear candy, thus its name. It is more resistant to deformation as the capsule tightens, and less prone to visible wrinkling. The downside is that it feels like a gummy bear, not like a soft breast.

Check out the link below for a video demonstration of this

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD

Titanium is not a proven improvement yet

+2

Violetta,

There are studies being conducted in Europe and Australia, but they are far from cone or conclusive. I will continue to recommend to my patients currently available implants filled with either saline (maybe 10-15% of my practice) and cohesive silicone gel (85-90% of my practice). The issue of capsular contracture is a vexing one, but the incidence in sub-muscular implants I believe is lower than thought with improved implant handling techniques as well as triple antibiotoic irrigation. I wish you well.

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Titanium breast implants

+2

Your question is a new one to me. People have tried many different types of breast implants and have varied the outer shell, as well as the filler of the implant.

I have not previously heard of titanium being used, and personally doubt that it would measure up to solving the issues you raised. Having been in practice for over 20 years, I have seen many things come and go. I think that this will not prove to be successful, and would not be too quick to try it.

Darrick E. Antell, MD

Titanium breast implants

+2

I've never heard of them, so I doubt they are available in the US. Good luck, but I have not seen that much capsular contracture with the newest implants placed in a submuscular position.

Jack Gelman, MD
Frankfort Plastic Surgeon

Titanium coated Breast Implants

+1

Sorry but these implants are not available in US. Regardless, the rate of capsular contracture with subpectoral breast augmentation with saline or silicone implants is so low that reinventing the wheel isn't necessary.

The market has been flooded with titanium since the USSR broke up and the republics have been selling off their military equipment, much of it made of titanium, in order to gain capital. So manufacturers have been finding any excuse to use this previously very expensive metal.

Alleragan and Mentor make great implants. Stick with them.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Titanium coated breast implants

+1

Hi, titanium implants are not available in the US at this time. The good news is that there is a lot of research in the area of prevention of capsular contractures. With each new generation of implants, the risk of contracture seems to go down, but it will probably never be zero. I hope this helps. Best, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Titanium and Breast Implants

+1

Dear Violetta

If you are within the USA, I would have to say they are at least years away as there are no studies on-going of their use. I assume that the company producing the implants is foreign. I know of no definitive studies that say the implants prevent capsular contracture. Sorry.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon