300cc or 280cc Breast Implants for Rounder Look?

I am 5'6" tall, weighing 118 pounds. I want to have 300cc high profile to get more fullness. I am a 34A right now and my breast measurement is 12". My doctor wanted me to have 280cc breast implants because he says sometimes, the implants will bigger if you go smaller as it won't thin out the chest wall. He also said the HP will look really fake but I want a rounder look. What should I do? Will this look bad? He uses Allergan.

300 cc vs. 280 cc breast implants

Dear Foxy

Please realize that the difference between 300 cc and 280 cc is about a tablespoon. I use high profile implants in selected patients who want to be large because the base is narrower and the projection greater. Sometimes, it gives a torpedo look (think Madonna way back when) that many patients don't like.

If the implants are too small it may give the breast a funny appearance like cut grapefruits sitting on your chest wall. I would probably go with a Moderate profile plus to give you some fullness all over based on your 12cm base diameter but this is something to discuss with your doctor.

If you don't feel comfortable with your decision seek other opinions until you are happy.

Good Luck!

Best size of breast implants and breast augmentation

A twenty cc size difference in breast implants, from 280cc to 300cc is minimal.  I often use Allergan high profile implants and,although I haven't examined you, given your frame I believe 300cc would not be too large.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant sizes.

1) A rounded look (on top) is not really natural, but many women like it, and there is nothing wrong with that.

2) Don't try to pick implant size yourself. This is a highly technical decision. You have to trust your surgeon to make the right choice based on the look you want (show him or her pictures!) and on your anatomy.

3) Take a look at the breast augmentation page on my web site.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Will #HPBreastImplantsLookFake?

Sounds like your plastic surgeon may be giving you sound advice. Here is my take on this subject:
It is very difficult to determine the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 300 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. . Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the following link:

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

There is no way to guarantee a particular bra size. Bra sizing varies greatly between bra manufacturers and a C in one bra will be a D in another. What matters more than the assigned bra size is the way the implant looks on you. The best option for your body and aesthetic goals can be determined in a thorough implant sizing session.
Implant sizing depends on several factors. One of the most important factors is your breast width. Generally, your surgeon will measure your breast width, and then provide you with a range of implant sizes appropriate for your native breast size. There are more nuances to it than just what I've described, but this approach works for most women.
I usually have my patients bring in a large bra and a tight t-shirt to do sizing. I'll then choose 3-4 implants that I feel are appropriate, and have my patients place them in the bra under the tight t-shirt. My patients can then look in the mirror and get a good sense of what they will look like with the provided implant sizes. My patients like this approach and get a great idea of how they will look.
By using this technique, your surgeon can outline a range of appropriate implant sizes that will be aesthetically pleasing, and you make the final decision.
I hope this helps. Good luck!

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

20 cc's Is Difficult To Notice...

The question of breast implant size is always difficult for prospective breast augmentation patients.In this case, it’s virtually impossible to answer the question of breast size without more information.Without pictures or a physical examination, it would be only guesswork.For these reasons, multiple approaches are utilized to make this determination preoperatively.These include reviewing magazines, photographs, external sizers, and recently the 3D Vectra computer imager, to name a few.
Even when tremendous care is taken preoperatively to determine breast size, the final decision needs to be made in the Operating Room by the surgeon.At this point, an assessment can be made regarding how the patient’s breast tissue interacts with the breast implant.Occasionally, obtaining a specific size doesn’t allow the surgeon to meet the patient’s other aesthetic goals.For this reason,locking into a specific size isn’t always a good idea.Results are better when a surgeon has the ability to make adjustments in the Operating Room.
It’s also important to realize that, for many patients, a 25 cc difference in breast size would be difficult to notice.In reality, a 25 cc difference is less than two tablespoons, which is spread in three dimensions over the implant.
In your case, I think it’s important to thoroughly discuss your aesthetic issues with your surgeon.Make sure he has the latitude to do what’s best for you in the Operating Room, so he can meet your aesthetic goals.It’s important that you have an approximate idea of the breast size that you’re considering, but don’t become married to an absolute number.

If you want a rounder look, that is what your should get. We each have our own opinion of what is attractive. Keep in mind, a 300 cc MP is a totally different shape than a 300 cc HP and they each fit different chests. If you fit a 300 cc MP, the 400 cc HP will fit you. It is not a big implant and I put them in every day. Good luck!

280 vs 300 Implant Selection

This is a very small difference in size that will be difficult for anyone to notice a size difference.   Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection to replace an in office exam and good communication with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Selecting an implant size

There is very little difference between these two implants and more than likely you would do well with either type.  Given your petite chest circumference I do not believe that a 300 cc implant would be too large.  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon,  DR. Z

Breast implant sizing

It is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the press implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.