Have Keloid Scarring After Laser Tattoo Removal, What Should I Do?

I've received 35 tattoo removal laser treatments and have significant keloid scarring. I've just started laser scar removal treatments. First in April, 2nd in July. The pics are this week (Aug. 25th). At the most recent treatment, the doc injected some steroid into the scarring. Am I going about this in the right way? What other options do I have? Anything cosmetic possible? How effective is the laser I'm using for the scarring? Any other advise thanks

Keloid Scar Improvement

+3

I am sorry to hear that you formed a keloid after your tattoo removal. It sounds like you are on the right track.  Steroid injections into the scars are an excellent way to flatten them. In our practice, we typically do these injections four weeks apart.  It is difficult to tell from your photos, but if you have some redness to your scars, a pulsed dye laser is ideal to help fade this.   Unfortunately, given the size and location, you would not be  a candidate for surgical revision.  Just remember that the goal is improvement , not complete eradication.

Addressing Laser Tattoo Removal Scars

+2

Using a laser to correct the damage from another laser is not uncommon these days. The most important thing to keep in mind is to choose a practitioner with the right level of skill and experience to do this. Work with a board certified dermatologist. 

The Fraxel Dual laser system helps the skin create normal collagen fibers that gradually override the collagen in the scar tissue.  It really makes sense to treat scars effectively using this paradigm. 

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon