Tanning After Tummy Tucks?

I understand that tanning is not good .. but if you cover the incision with gauze and tape.. would tanning affect the incision?

Tanning after tummy tuck

+3

Tanning in general is bad for the skin. The best suggestion would be for a spray tan. The worst alternative is to go to a tanning booth. But let's be realistic. Women do not havr tummy tucks in order to hide out. They want to be at the beach in a bikini. You should not get sun on a fresh scar or it is likely to over pigmented and stay that way. Once the scar is healed it will be far less noticeable and less susceptible to pigmentation. Ubtil that time you keep a strong sunblock on and reapply frequently. If the scar is an area that does tan then you may notice that the scar will remain more white than the surrounding tan skin making it more visible...another reason a spray tan may the best for you!

Tanning after Tummy Tucks

+2

It would be very smart not to tan your scar until it is healed.  If you are at the beach, use a high numbered sunscreen, and apply paper tape over the scar.  I am sure you want the best result possible.  Be sure to discuss scar management with your surgeon.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Tanning After Tummy Tucks?

+2

For the first year, the scar is susceptible  to permanent dark pigmentation if it is permitted to tan. (Tanning is an injury response.) 

Rather than gauze and tape, use a high SPF sun block over the scars. All the best. 

Tanning after tummy tucks?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! After any surgical procedure, you should be careful with incisions as well as avoidance of direct UVA and UVB rays in order to lessen the chance for hyperpigmentation of the skin and scars, which can take several months to resolve, if it ever does. Sunblock of 35 or above is recommended regardless. The ability of the affected area to heal has been slowed and you should try to avoid additional swelling to the area. The area will likely be numb for several weeks to months and will be difficult to feel when sunburn is coming on.  

Typical recommendations include wearing a hat and/or sunblock to the affected area for at least 6-12 weeks following the procedure. It takes up to one year for scars to fully mature. You should also avoid trauma to the area for several months to protect the refinements made during the procedure. Also, avoidance of pools/lakes/jacuzzis/etc for 4-6 weeks is usually recommended to allow adequate healing and protection from stagnant water, that could potentially harbor bacteria. Lifting/exercise restrictions are common for at least 6 weeks. Certainly discuss the postoperative instructions with your surgeon, as thoughts differ among surgeons. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Be careful tanning your abdomen after tummy tuck

+1

To answer your question very directly: as long as you cover the incision to protect it from sunlight, tanning will not affect your scars. But – and this is a big but – be very careful tanning your abdomen. You probably have some remaining numbness and may not be able to judge if you are burning the skin.  Perhaps consider a spray tan instead. Be well!

James N. Romanelli, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Tanning after a Tummy Tuck

+1

Congratulations on your surgery.  I would recommend spray tan if possible.   If you do tan, it is imperative to understand that sunlight will darken your scar, especially during the first year.

A high spf sunscreen is a must and remember sunlight will track through most swimsuits.

I wish you all the best.

Paul S. Gill, MD

Tanning after Surgery

+1

After 3 weeks I let my patients tan as long as they COVER THE INCISIONS!!  If you burn immature scars they turn red or brown and stay that way forever.  Cover them until they are faded and mature, usually 6-18 months.  Good Luck!

Brian Reedy, MD
Reading Plastic Surgeon

Incisions should be protected from ultraviolet light after abdominoplasty until healing is complete.

+1

Ultraviolet light (tanning) aggravates the skin and increases swelling. It is to be avoided during the healing process. This should be discussed with your plastic surgeon.