Is Tanning Okay After Rhinoplasty?

naturally under the sun? I hardly tan because of the lack of sun/warmth where I live, but Iam going on vacation and wouldnt mind laying out in the sun for awhile. I had a closed rhinoplasty. is it okay? (itll be around 2-3 weeks post op when i go.)

Is tanning ok after rhinoplasty?

+1

It is important to avoid exposing your nose to the sun for extended periods of time for the first 6 months following surgery. If it is necessary to be in the sun, I would recommend a high spf suncreen and protective hat if possible. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Avoid sun exposure to nose in weeks following surgery

+1

Please be sure to keep your nose covered when outdoors for extended periods of time. Tanning so soon after surgery may be harmful to the healing tissues. Your best bet is to use a sunscreen with a high SPF in conjunction with a hat.

Ahmed Abdullah, MD
Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Tanning after a Closed Rhinoplasty

+1

The "good doctor" answer is that you should always wear sun-screen when out in direct sunlight for an extended period of time.  However, with incisions all inside the nostrils, you should be able to sun all you want without having an effect on your rhinoplasty results.  Have fun on your vacation!

John Bitner, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tanning After Surgery

+1

I would suggest that  you not expose yourself to direct sunlight this early after your procedure. If you are going on vacation, I would suggest a facial sunscreen with a high spf and hat or umbrella to protect your face from the sun.  Even though the risk is low, if you sustain a sun burn to your nose it can complicate your healing.  I would suggest you protect your face.  Good Luck

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tanning 2 weeks after nose surgery--I think my colleagues may be missing something here.

+1

Rhinoplasty (open OR closed) lifts the nasal skin from the underlying support structures in order to sculpt and reposition bones/cartilage to give the new nasal appearance. This cuts sensory nerves, and makes the nasal skin totally numb for many months until these nerves heal!

At 2-3 weeks post-op your bruising is gone and you look just fine, but your nasal skin is going to be quite numb, and sunburn or frostbite (if you were gong skiing instead of sunning) can damage your skin without the "normal" pain response that warns you of "too much sun" or "too much cold."

I have seen blisters and permanent color change or scarring from inadvertent burn or freeze in surgically-numb skin. Be careful! Use a full sunblock on your nose and realize that you won't get the usual signals that your nose has "had enough" and is heading for "too much!". Best wishes and safe travels! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Tanning after rhinoplasty

+1

in general plastic surgeons are big advocates of deliberate tanning.  we are in the business of helping people stay young looking.  excess uv radiation (sun light / tanning booths) can acclerate the aging of the skin.

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD

Tanning after Closed Rhinoplasty

+1

Sun exposure of an intermittent nature will probably have a negligible effect on a closed rhinoplasty, but attempting to tan and risking a burn that early following rhinoplasty is asking for a problem.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

To be safe, No

+1

If you were my patient, tanning would not be ok 3 weeks after rhinoplasty as the nose is still healing. The biggest concern would be if you developed a sunburn in this area. The nose is the easiest place to burn on the face from direct sun exposure. Any sunburn will cause more swelling in the area and affect healing. It could also set you up for an infection. Check with your surgeon before your trip.

Kristina Tansavatdi, MD

Is Tanning Okay After Rhinoplasty?

+1

IMHO, no.  Tanning at 2-3 weeks post Rhinoplasty will increase blood supply to the nose and can increase the amount of swelling.  We ask our Rhinoplasty patients to avoid significant sun exposure for 1 month following their Rhinoplasty as a minimum.  You can go on vacation but I'd advice staying in the shade.  You should contact your Rhinoplasty Surgeon to get specific post-op instructions.

Tanning after rhinoplasty

+1

Tanning should be find after your procedure.  We generally do not like surgical incisions to be exposed to sunlight after surgery.  Some surgeons will ask patients to not expose scars like this for a year after surgery.   However, if your surgery was done closed, meaning no external incisions, you should be safe to go in the sun.  Please ask your surgeon for his advice as well.

Best of luck with your surgey and enjoy your vacation.

Thanks for your question.

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon