Silicon Implant in My Nose 19 Years Ago. Have a Bit of Pain and Gets Red When Very Cold or Hot?

I did the silicon implant in my nose 19 years ago. But I feel pain sometimes in the area of the implant in my nose and also the top of my nose is easy to get red when it is very cold or hot. I am worried about it. Wondering what kind of exam should I do ? Do I need to remove the implant? Is the problem serious? Can the silicon implant cause the cancer? Thanks a lot for your replies.

Silicone nasal implant 19 years post-surgery

+1

Silicone implants have no history of causing any cancer.

If there are no other signs of implant shifting or areas of skin thinning where the implant may extrude, then I wouldn't worry too much. Redness in extreme weather conditions and non-specific mild pain are not necessarily, indications of anything “bad” going on. Regardless, I suggest you see a qualified surgeon who will do a physical examination and, thereby, be able to determine if the implant needs to be removed.

Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Silicone nasal implants

+1

Silicone implants in the nose can have a shorten lifespan. You should be examined by a surgeon who has had experience with this type of implant. It could be serious as it may be starting to slide out intra-nasally. Silicone does not cause cancer. A proper intra-nasal examine is necessary along with a history of how long this redness lasts etc.

Unfortunately, long term silicone implants sometimes need to be removed.

Dr David Ellis Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

David A. F. Ellis, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Silicone Nasal Implant

+1

Hi,

I have not heard of silicone nasal implants causing cancer. If it wasnt placed in the right tissue plane you can have the problems you are talking about. It should not be a problem removing it if you want but you would have to replace it if you want to maintain the shape of the nose.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Implant questions

+1

Implants in the nose do not necessarily cause problems.  However, incorrect placement of the implant could be related to the issues you are having.  Pain and redness could be due to infection or impending extrusion of the implant.  I would seek the advice of a surgeon soon to make sure everything is ok.  If everything is fine, you do not need to remove the implant.  Nasal implants cannot cause cancer.  Thank you for your questions and best of luck.

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Silicone nasal implant

+1

Overtime, the silicone implants can cause problems.  If the implant is causing problems you may have no other choice than to remove it.

Tissue Thinning of Nasal Implant

+1

Tissues do thin over time in many nasal dorsal implants. All the issues you are describing are exactly that. It would be far better now to remove the implant and replace with your own tissues while the overlying skin is reasonably healthy and has some thickness. Waiting until you develop a full-blown problem will leave you with limited options and ultimately less of a result than you have now no matter how it is replaced.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Silicon implant

+1

you are reporting the exact description and reason that many surgeons never use implants in the nose. This is a late problem from the implant. You can either live with it and hope it does not get worse or have it removed. No other treatment will correct it.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Silicone Implant in Rhinoplasty Concerns

+1

After 19 years with a nasal implant, you may want to think about removing this and replacing it with autologous tissues.  However, from your description alone there may not be a cause for concern.  I would recommend an exam to address your concerns.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Nasal Implant

+1

It would be best to see a Plastic Surgeon as soon as possible regarding the implant.  You said you have pain and redness at times.  This is an indication that you need an evaluation.  Discuss this with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon regarding these concerns.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD