Swimming, Jacuzzi After Tummy Tuck and Breast Lift Surgery?

How long after surgery will I be able to Jacuzzi? Im going for full tummy tuck and breast lift?

Swimming/ Jacuzzi after tummy tuck and breast lift surgery.

+3

Unless there is a complication with healing, the incisions are water-tight by 48 hours.  At this point, there is no risk of incisional infection from a hot tub or pool.  However, after a tummy tuck and breast lift procedure I prefer to leave surgical tape in place for 3 weeks and ask my patients not to soak the incisions until these have been removed.

Check with your chosen surgeon on their own preferences and follow their guidlines.

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover Recovery

+3

You should at least avoid swimming pools for 4 weeks after tummy tuck and breast augmentation.  However if incisions are not completely healed you should wait longer.  Wait at least two weeks after complete healing.  Hot juccusis are to be avoided for 3-4 months. It is because stomach skin is numb after tummy tuck and hot water can cause scalding.  Lake waters are not as clean as pool water and should be avoided at least for six weeks after surgery. 

Vasdev Rai, MD

Mommy makeover recovery

+1
Recovery after that combination of procedures varies from patient to patient.  I generally recommend waiting about three weeks before getting in a jacuzzi because it can increase the risk of infection.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Swimming after tummy tuck

+1
Thank you for your post. In general, your incisions need to be perfect, all drains removed and the drain site healed perfect, and the muscle repair needs to be mature with no areas of fluid collection. If the incisions are not perfect, or drain site, then you are at risk of infection in pools, hot tubs, oceans/lakes. You don't have to have perfect incisions to shower, just not submerge in bath or the above. However, I ask my patients to wear their abdominal binder non-stop, except for showers, for at least 4 weeks, so unless you want to hang out at the beach with your binder, then no beach.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Swimming, jacuzzi after tummy tuck and breast lift surgery?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! On average, a period of approximately 3-4 weeks on average is typical. Submerging in stagnant water, be it bathtubs, jacuzzis, pools, lakes, oceans, etc. can certainly increase your chance for infections. I usually await the incisions to be fully healed prior to allowing for this type of activity. If you do have any wound issues or delayed healing, expect that you will be restricted from doing such things. However, I allow my patients to shower and clean incisions at 3 days postoperative. Regardless, the answer will vary amongst plastic surgeons and you should discuss this with your surgeon and follow his/her instructions. Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Jacuzzi after surgery

+1
I ask my patients to wait two weeks before getting in a Jacuzzi, swimming pool, or bath tub. If you have any wound healing issues it may be longer. Best to double check with your surgeon before diving in.

Grant Stevens, MD

Allow for At Least 6 Weeks to Resume Swimming Following Abdominoplasty & Breast Lift

+1

Patients are eager to return to normal activity as soon as possible following abdominoplasty and breast lift surgery. Unfortunately, returning to normal activity too soon can potentially result in an increased potential for complications.
Swimming and spending time in the Jacuzzi are both activities that could potentially have negative consequences if resumed too soon. Theoretically, once the skin edges have sealed in about 48 hours following surgery, these activities can be resumed. In reality, many patients have drains in place for three weeks or longer. In addition, small absorbable interrupted sutures may break through the skin and become exposed. In this situation, infection could occur in a patient who is submerged in a Jacuzzi, pool, pond, or ocean. Each of these environments may have unique and in many cases antibiotic resistant bacteria that could lead to a significant infection.
  In addition, we generally don’t recommend resumption of strenuous activities for at least six weeks following abdominoplasty. Swimming can create significant strain on the core muscles of the abdomen and should therefore be avoided in the immediate post-operative period.
Finally, the abdomen and breast may not have normal sensation immediately after surgery. This can potentially lead to burn and scald type injuries from a hot Jacuzzi.
It’s important to remember that every patient’s procedure and post-operative course is unique. For these reasons, make sure you consult your plastic surgeon before getting into the water.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Swimming

+1

Unless there is a problem with healing all incisions are watertight in 24-48 hrs. However I do not recommend swimming or jacuzzi so early time after surgery. There are many other organisms in this water that are harmful and to be superinfected with a strange bug after all of this effort does not make sense. Better to be a little more conservative for this short period of time.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Swimming after mommy makeover

+1

I advise my patients to avoid submerging themselves in water until their incisions are completely sealed. This usually takes at least 3-6 weeks, depending on how well you are healing. You can potentially get a wound infection if you soak in contaminated water (pools, jacuzzis, etc) and your incision isn't completely healed. And of course, it's best to follow up with your plastic surgeon and listen to his/her advice.

I hope that helps and wish you all the best!

James Knoetgen, III, MD
Fresno Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover

+1

This will depend on how fast you heal, and how long the drains are to remain in place. Thank you for your question and good luck with everything.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon