Swimming, Jacuzzi After Tummy Tuck and Breast Lift Surgery?

How long after surgery will I be able to Jacuzzi? Im going for full tummy tuck and breast lift?

Swimming/ Jacuzzi after tummy tuck and breast lift surgery.

Unless there is a complication with healing, the incisions are water-tight by 48 hours.  At this point, there is no risk of incisional infection from a hot tub or pool.  However, after a tummy tuck and breast lift procedure I prefer to leave surgical tape in place for 3 weeks and ask my patients not to soak the incisions until these have been removed.

Check with your chosen surgeon on their own preferences and follow their guidlines.

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover Recovery

You should at least avoid swimming pools for 4 weeks after tummy tuck and breast augmentation.  However if incisions are not completely healed you should wait longer.  Wait at least two weeks after complete healing.  Hot juccusis are to be avoided for 3-4 months. It is because stomach skin is numb after tummy tuck and hot water can cause scalding.  Lake waters are not as clean as pool water and should be avoided at least for six weeks after surgery. 

Vasdev Rai, MD

Pool, 6 weeks. Jacuzzi, 8 weeks. Better to be safe.....

A surgery like you describe with a tummy tuck and breast lift is a big procedure and requires a significant healing time before it is safe to resume exercise or be ready to get back in the pool or Jacuzzi.Before immersing in water (even a clean bathtub) you want to make sure all of your stitches are out and all of the incisions completely and stably healed without any openings at all.This is even more important in pools or spas where there are more likely to be contaminates in the water which can easily lead to infection.The Jacuzzi also adds the element of heat to the equation.Any tissue that is swollen is much more susceptible to burning even at temperatures that would not normally cause discomfort or damage.I would recommend waiting until at least 6 weeks post-op for swimming in a pool, minimum of 8 weeks for the Jacuzzi, and think twice about rivers and lakes for even longer! You don’t want to spoil your fabulous results just for a dip in the pool too soon.

Swimming after surgery

Thank you for your question. I generally allow swimming after one month, or 6 weeks if it's vigorous. Follow up with your surgeon to confirm. Best regards.

Swimming and Jacuzzi after Mommy Makeover

I recommend my patients avoid vigorous swimming or any other significant exertion for at least 4-6 weeks after a mommy makeover.  Hot tubs should be avoided if you have any open wounds since an infection could result.

Mommy makeover recovery

Recovery after that combination of procedures varies from patient to patient.  I generally recommend waiting about three weeks before getting in a jacuzzi because it can increase the risk of infection.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Unless there is a problem with healing all incisions are watertight in 24-48 hrs. However I do not recommend swimming or jacuzzi so early time after surgery. There are many other organisms in this water that are harmful and to be superinfected with a strange bug after all of this effort does not make sense. Better to be a little more conservative for this short period of time.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Swimming after mommy makeover

I advise my patients to avoid submerging themselves in water until their incisions are completely sealed. This usually takes at least 3-6 weeks, depending on how well you are healing. You can potentially get a wound infection if you soak in contaminated water (pools, jacuzzis, etc) and your incision isn't completely healed. And of course, it's best to follow up with your plastic surgeon and listen to his/her advice.

I hope that helps and wish you all the best!

Swimming after a mommy makeover

The answer depends on your comfort level and your plastic surgeon.  If everything is all healed then the only restriction of you getting into the swimming pool or jacuzzi would be the abdominal binder.  Once you are released from wearing your abdominal binder you may start enjoying your swimming pool and jacuzzi.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Wait About 6 Weeks

The choice to make a body improvement is a personal one, not a medical necessity. However, the body does not know that it was not a medical necessity and still requires about 6 weeks of healing (providing all incisions are closed) before dipping into swimming pools, especially a jacuzzi. Even the smallest of separations of incisions is an entry port for bacterial and potential for infection.

John W. Bass, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon