Can You Swim or Use the Sauna 17 Days After Rhino???

I was 13 days post op and ended up getting a major nose bleed. I ended up in the ER and they has to repack the left side of my nose. BRUTAL. The packing has since dissolved and I am 17 days post op. Next week I am planning to go relax at a spa resort. Could I do some little swimming (head above the water), also is it to early to use the dry SAUNA? and lastly would I be able to have a massage? Thanks feedback

Sun and fun after rhino

+1
In general, your nose has less natural protection from the sun right after rhinoplasty. All the tissue was just elevated off of the internal structure of the nose, including the bone and cartilage, and blood vessels were coagulated in order to do this. There fore we weakened the nose's natural defense since we weakened its blood supply. This blood supply grows back , but it can take quite a bit of time to happen. In the first 6 weeks, your nose is less naturally resistant to UV rays and is more likely to burn and get discolored. Also, since your nose is mostly numb early on, its less likely that you are to notice the problem until its too late. I recommend you stay out of the sun as much as possible in the first 6 weeks after surgery. If you are in the sun for short periods of time, stay in the shade, and wear a big hat and a good sunblock. Do not wear sun glasses in the first 6 weeks, or any glasses for that matter, if osteotomies were performed, (breaking of the nasal bones). You can get your nose wet as soon as the splint comes off, but I would be careful about chlorinated pools early on until the incision is fully healed an more mature, as the chlorine can irritate the incision. The gym and anything that increases you blood pressure will increase the swelling of your nose and delay your healing time. I recommend 6 weeks for this as well. Sometimes it can take longer for your skin to mature, even a year and more in some cases. I suggest that you wear sun block for at least a year every day while out in the sun.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Sauna

+1

The sauna will be dry and I would wait a few weeks. Swimming head up is ok but, no diving. Massage is definitely good. Enjoy

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Can I swim or use the sauna 13 days after Rhinoplasty?

+1

No, I advise all my Rhinoplasty patients to avoid the heat of a suana, steam room or jacuzzi for the first month after their surgery.  Swimming...or more like lounging in a cool temperature pool would be ok but the strenuous act of swimming itself, IMHO, should be avoided for the first month as well.  All these things you mentioned increase blood flow to the nose and increase the risk of nose bleeds and residual swelling. 

Sun, sauna and nose job

+1

It is way too soon TO EXPOSE your nose to the sun. The tissue in your nose may not look swollen but the cells still contain a lot of water  and there is water between the cells. This is a prime set up for blistering of your skin, not a good thing. I tell my patients to wait 2-3 months before exposing their tissue. When they do decide to head for the sun to wear lots of sun protective lotion.
The sauna is a little different it can cause problems when your body heat increases.  Best to stay cool for a couple of months. Same goes for strenous exercise

In any event, you need to be seen in  person  by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to assist you in making a decision as to what is best for you. I hope that this is helpful for you . Jon Sattler, MD Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, Glendora, California.

Jon Sattler, MD
Glendora Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after rhinoplasty

+1

I tell my patients to limit exertional acitivity for about 4 weeks after rhinoplasty.  I do not think that dry heat froma sauma is a good idea it may lead to more swelling or worse crusting in the nose and bleeding.

Sauna and swimming?

+1
Seeing as you have already had a complication I would personally be a bit nervous about advising you to swim or use the sauna. Each surgeon is different as is each rhinoplasty so I would check with your doctor to find his/her preferences. That said, you will increase your risk of infection with swimming and likely cause your swelling to be prolonged with the sauna. I would take it easy on both.

Colin Pero, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

17 days post rhinoplasty is a sauna safe

+1

my suggestion would be to avoid the sun and heat at this point. Ask your surgeon for their specific instructions, but a sauna would be out in my practice. small amount of swimming limiting exertion and limiting exposure to too much sun would be my suggestions. no aggressive swimming where you could hit nose.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon